Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resonant SMPS using L6599

Resonant SMPS using L6599

Dear friends,

I want to share my experience of making renonant smps using the L6599 chip.
    Please check the following pdf file L6599 resonan smps by res.pdf,

apologize if the language is not good.

Suggestions and critics are welcome.

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Hi Res, The circuit looks promising at a first glance, from what I have read so far these tend to be a bit sensitive and usually they are used for a constant load. I do not know what are your intentions for this smps being either for learning purposes or maybe to use it somewhere. I have never built one myself but I have seen some lectures on youtube by Sam Ben Yakovv. This man is a professor in a university teaching students. I suggest you follow some of these videos and learn the Math behind this topology.

As you may well know there are quite some types being in soft switching, Zero voltage switching or zero current switching. The task is to keep the smps at below or above resonance depending on the load requirements. This feature implies having a variable frequency controller that can sense the load current and adjusting the frequency to maintain the load current.

Well I wish you well and good luck in your experiments and hope that you succeed.

Regards Silvio

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
    I have seen some lectures on youtube by Sam Ben Yakovv. This man is a professor in a university teaching students. I suggest you follow some of these videos and learn the Math behind this topology.
    I will try to search on youtube, thank you

Because I was busy in my work in another field,
    for now I don't have a purpose why I make smps (I have no financial goal), I make it just because I like electronics

I designed a smps with symmetrical output so that it can also be used for audio amplifiers especially for friends here

Actually I can do mathematical calculations, from what I learned, the calculation of the infineon AN-1160 is easier for manual calculations rather than appnote from ST.
    attached L6599 excel spreadsheets for easy way.

I tried to explain in my writing how to make transformer construction easy for DIY because in my opinion this is one of the difficult parts of making a resonant converter

I've tried regulated and non regulated smps with the L6599 (and UCC25600) chip

test load (i can not test in a long time because nikelin wire burning my table)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umJtKTdcC6E

1000W version test
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnf1ewgrAw

over load test (voltage drop when overload)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gEKRWsvgEs

over current protection test by shorting output (smps shutdown, non-latching)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfd46yhywc

sinusoidal voltage at Cr
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y42T_Fw6fCs
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by res_smps; 05-15-2019 at 09:19 AM.

@Res_SMPS

I would appreciate your help if you can give me transformer turns ratio for +-22VDC output & the TL431 regulator resistors values, I am facing some challenges

Thanks
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com

Dear Microsim,

I tried to answer even though I myself was still learning
    from the appplication note AN2450, the turn ratio is not the physical turn ratio n=N1/N2
    but turn ratio n = 0.5 x Vdc(nom)/Vout
    for 220V mains n = 220*1.4*0.5/22 = 7
    is this what you mean?

tl431 part.jpg
    for TL431 I honestly don't really understand too
    for example I choose 1K2 for R1 ( I don't know what preferable value range)
    vref = 2.5V
    R2 = R1(Vout/vref-1)
    for R1 I used fixed resistor+trimpot
    Vout+-22V = 44V (from positif rail to negatif)
    R1 = 1.2K(44/2.5-1) approx 19.92K

for R-C compensation I just tried from the example schematic, I have not understood

and make sure more than 1mA current passing trough TL431

I use the TL431 circuit like in page 6 from iraudps3
    Attached Files Attached Files

l6599_1000w.jpeg slow progress
    the schematic is similar to post no.1
    using 4x1000uf 200V in capacitor just because I have in stock and for lower dimensions
    totem pole transistor using a1020/c2655 instead of 8050/8550
    more secondary capacitor

This project was delayed because it turns out that what I have is L6599 (without A) not L6599A.
    L6599 has a feature to ensure the resonant tank does not work in capacitive mode via Isen pin.

I was confused because the chip always shutdown after starting until I found this document. Design Tip L6599.pdf
    there is no difference in the L6599 and L6599A datasheet.

Finally I can make this smps work using the method as explained in the design tips
    L6599.jpeg

The problem reappears when I try to activate the line sensing feature to detect DC voltage in the primary, the chip is always blown.
    In the previous design this line sensing was connected to VCC via a voltage divider and could work.

So I decided to buy the L6599A before continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by res_smps View Post
    This project was delayed because it turns out that what I have is L6599 (without A) not L6599A.
    L6599 has a feature to ensure the resonant tank does not work in capacitive mode via Isen pin.

I was confused because the chip always shutdown after starting until I found this document. Design Tip L6599.pdf
    there is no difference in the L6599 and L6599A datasheet.

Finally I can make this smps work using the method as explained in the design tips
    L6599.jpeg

The problem reappears when I try to activate the line sensing feature to detect DC voltage in the primary, the chip is always blown.
    In the previous design this line sensing was connected to VCC via a voltage divider and could work.

So I decided to buy the L6599A before continuing.
    I think that the design tip talking about two different ICs, L6599 & L6699 not L6599A or L6599

and that makes huge sense when you are using different chip.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosiM View Post
    I think that the design tip talking about two different ICs, L6599 & L6699 not L6599A or L6599

and that makes huge sense when you are using different chip.

Hope that helps.
    aaaaagh .... thanks microsim, i just realized that this is l6699 not l6599, maybe i was too frustrated yesterday. 4 chip and 2 mosfet blown

but strangely this ebay chip (6599) can work when I treat it like the L6699 design tip
    maybe next Saturday I'll try with the L6599A that was just received

Quote Originally Posted by res_smps View Post
    aaaaagh .... thanks microsim, i just realized that this is l6699 not l6599, maybe i was too frustrated yesterday. 4 chip and 2 mosfet blown

but strangely this ebay chip (6599) can work when I treat it like the L6699 design tip
    maybe next Saturday I'll try with the L6599A that was just received

You need to pay attention to those Ebay chips.

But also you have to be aware that L6599A will NOT work if its not fully assembled, Trying to power it up from external power supply will be waste of time, and you will keep blowing chips.
    L6599A can lead to multi failures if you dont understand how it works, an can be your worst design if you keep working that way.

Thanks