Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Necessary Equipments needed for SMPS development.

Necessary Equipments needed for SMPS development.

Since there will be some DIY SMPS projects in here, or may be at any other locations.

I wrote the below paper for the DIY people, In order to help them making there own SMPS, while following some safety procedures.

The paper talks about Necessary Equipments needed for SMPS development, and some warnings you should be aware of.

Other papers will be launched soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com

One of my recommendations if you're going to be working on SMPS is a differential scope probe. I don't think the 'floating' oscilloscope is a good idea. When trying to look for example at the gate drive on a half or full bridge design, the only way to do it is using a differential probe.

Exclamation Price

Quote Originally Posted by chaudio View Post
    One of my recommendations if you're going to be working on SMPS is a differential scope probe. I don't think the 'floating' oscilloscope is a good idea. When trying to look for example at the gate drive on a half or full bridge design, the only way to do it is using a differential probe.

I dont think that any DIY will be able to afford the price of that differential probe.

http://www.tek.com/products/accessor...ial-probe.html

As an example, GDS2000 Scope price about 1000US$, and probe is about 1300US$.

It depends on the budget...

Personally I use a much cheaper add-on differential probe: http://accessories.picotech.com/acti...bes.html#TA057

While it might not be as accurate as a Tektronic unit, it's certainly very useful for what I do, which is mainly amplifier repair. Can also be used for measuring the output of bridged amplifiers which is very handy indeed.

Incidentally the Tektronic probes you mention above appear to be more designed for probing differential data busses etc, not for high voltage use.
    Last edited by chaudio; 10-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaudio View Post
    Personally I use a much cheaper add-on differential probe: http://accessories.picotech.com/acti...bes.html#TA057

While it might not be as accurate as a Tektronic unit, it's certainly very useful for what I do, which is mainly amplifier repair. Can also be used for measuring the output of bridged amplifiers which is very handy indeed.

Incidentally the Tektronic probes you mention above appear to be more designed for probing differential data busses etc, not for high voltage use.
    I dont think its cheap either! 30% of oscilloscope price.

DIY cant afford it, many people using X100 probes without problems.

Well it was only a suggestion! Personally I've found it's one of those items where I don't know how I managed before I bought it and I thought I'd share that.

Cool Thanks

Hey..

I didn't mean any thing, I used X100 Probes before to repair some SMPS in the past.

Thats why..

Hi,

I am new here, I have seen some really old TV techs here in the Philippines that have converted some old B/W TV's into an "oscilloscope" well its not very high tech, but it enables them to see if there is an oscillation or any drive signal from any switching circuitry, I wish I was that "old" he he he he. They are very resourceful. I am glad I have an 50Mhz oscilloscope.

Regards,
    Jade

I have seen and worked with 110 volt smps, so why are you saying only 220?

Arrow 220

Quote Originally Posted by krisfr View Post
    I have seen and worked with 110 volt smps, so why are you saying only 220?

All details in the paper, applies to 110VAC or 220VAC SMPS designs, since the 110VAC design will use a voltage doubler.
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com