Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000w smps based on LUDO3232

Blog Entries
    In post 57 calculation is for ETD49 transformer and not EE55. For EE55 turns are different.
    IF you want turns for EE55 please give me more information, Ex Half bridge , full bridge, Purpose of use of smps ex amplifier etc
    1) core material
    2) frequency of operation
    3) bobbin length
    4) window width between bobbin and core
    5) what mosfet are you using
    6) Input AC voltage
    7) Output PEAK DC voltage
    8) what output diode used
    Last edited by Silvio; 10-01-2017 at 06:55 AM.

150v 8 A ee55 core smps.jpg
    thanks for the reply silvio.
    mosfet irfp460.
    mur1560 diode
    ac input 220v
    output peak 150vdc
    is it primary and secondary twisted wires or only primary twisted.?

Blog Entries
    Hello Nazirdigi,
    I see you have already worked out your calculation with Excellent IT and you got your results. I was asking for the bobbin length which I don't have. I cannot say what fits better. I see also a mistake in your wire diameter being 2.5mm this wire is not suitable for the frequency chosen. in fact the software adjusted for you and chosen 0.5mm. This is due to the wire skin dept cannot go more than that with the frequency chosen (70Khz)

Choosing half bridge topology for this power is not a good choice either and the current amplitude in the primary will be very high (20A) I think full bridge topology will be a better choice for you for 2KW. (Half bridge is only suitable up to 1KW)

The mosfets will not make it at full power and are likely to blow due to heat build up as the rating of 20A only holds true for a heatsink temp of 25 deg. As temp grows the amp rating will go down and even the RDS ON will also go higher. You will never use the fets at full rating as they will not last very long. As a rule of thumb for continuous rating you divide the full rating by 4 and for audio you divide by 3 ( so for a 10A rated fet you get around 2.5 to 3A for continuous rating and roughly 4 to 5A for audio purpose) If you need more power you can parallel fets together so they share the power.

Regarding if the wires are twisted or side by side is your choice and you have to see how they fit in the bobbin. As a rule of thumb for a good transformer it is best to try to fit each winding in one layer (Ex half primary 1 layer, half secondary 1 layer etc) This only holds true if it is possible. Good transformer construction is the key for a good smps.

I suggest you see the 2 blog posts that I posted on this website regarding Transformer winding practices and also making litz wire at home. You will get a good idea how to fit your windings and also what material you should use for a safe transformer. A video on youtube is also available called winding small transformer for smps by Silvio, You will take a good idea what to do during the trafo wind.

Regards Silvio
    Last edited by Silvio; 10-01-2017 at 10:04 PM.

thank u silvio for good explanation.

can u give me a good full bridge smps cuicuit pls.

how is this smps silvio?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Hello Nazirdigi,

I cannot see the schematic properly as the file is too small and when I enlarge it becomes blurred.

As far as I could see from the pcb layout I am assuming that you are using the one with the EE55 trafo. Well I could not see enough spacing between primary and secondary traces. The spacing should be around 3 to 4mm between these traces. Getting to the AC input side and DC bus spacing is not enough also. At least keep 3mm here in all places and even between capacitor legs. Humidity may cause it to arc

I am not sure if you are going to have feedback as I cannot see schematic.
    In case that the smps is not regulated then check your peak voltage on Exellent IT. You can move the mouse on the 3 output voltages stating min V, Rated V and Max V There you will see the peak voltages of every winding. I am saying this because with the calculations you posted the peak voltages where higher than 150v
    Regarding input and output capacitance I think you are Ok here. Input around 1uF per watt As for the output caps well see that they are low ESR type as they have to filter out all the ripple and having only 2000uF per rail are a bit on the low side. I do not see an output inductor either.

The pin header carrying oscillator and drivers is a good idea to keep traces away from high current paths and also short. This will also save space.

Regarding the Trafo wind give me the bobbin length and also the window space between bobbin and core and I try to work out what best to use. Please also note that if you are using a switching frequency of 70Khz then not more than 0.5mm wire can be used. You have to make several wires in parallel or twisted to have adequate current handling.

Regards Silvio

Blog Entries
    @ full bridge circuit,

About the full bridge circuit I do not have one that I have tested yet but I am going to experiment with an offline push pull circuit smps for audio in the future and see it it works.

Silvio

hi silvio. thanks for the reply.
    is ludos smps have short circuit?

Blog Entries
    yes Ludo's have short circuit protection like mine