Thread: SMPS and class D amps

SMPS and class D amps

PLEASE be kind, I'm new to this forum and electronics in general and I know the following question is very basic, but I need some help. I need to power two classD boards requiring +/-36v and putting out 200w a piece. I have found an SMPS that puts out the correct voltage and handles 500w. The problem is, there is only one output terminal from the SMPS. Can I double up they wires in each terminal and be safe. Or how should I wire this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fingersg View Post
    PLEASE be kind, I'm new to this forum and electronics in general and I know the following question is very basic, but I need some help. I need to power two classD boards requiring +/-36v and putting out 200w a piece. I have found an SMPS that puts out the correct voltage and handles 500w. The problem is, there is only one output terminal from the SMPS. Can I double up they wires in each terminal and be safe. Or how should I wire this?
    Is this smps regulated?

for double voltage you have to put another winding on the transformer.

You will also need to have a full bridge rectifier at the output and also capacitance on both outputs

Take a look here to get an idea what it involves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K3ixhcTYFg&t=1s

Blog Entries
    You can also buy 2 smaller power supplies and connect them in series

This is the SMPS I'm referencing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/500W-35V-Am...YAAOSwX9FZL7x5

How do you set up multiple power supplies in series? BTW, thank you for your time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fingersg View Post
    This is the SMPS I'm referencing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/500W-35V-Am...YAAOSwX9FZL7x5

How do you set up multiple power supplies in series? BTW, thank you for your time.
    As far as I can see the Power supply listed already has a dual output voltage of 35-0-35 (+/-35v). There is nothing that you should do except connect it to the amplifier.

But I want to run two amps off of that one power supply. Each amp is 200watts. Do I need to double the wires in each hole of the terminal? Three wires+,o,-, going to each amplifier.
    Last edited by fingersg; 02-13-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    All you have to do is insert 2 wires in each hole of the connecting block. 2 wires for positive, 2 wires for ground and 2 wires for negative. take one wire of each to each amplifier so that each amp has 3 wires +35/0/-35.

Thank you, that is what I was hoping.