Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

steven

Last edited:

Silvio

I can take +/- 70v about 10amper to channel with 15 amp peak?

Are you saying you got 2000 watts with ETD 39 and IRF740? Well 70+70 x 15A = 2100 watts and 140 x 10A = 1400 watts if it is so it does not seem so realistic. Driving IRF740 to their peak current (10A) don't last very long.

I hope you are referring to the schematic and SMPS that I uploaded and not something else.

PIETRO

I could change etd 39 with etd 49 and change irf740, with irfm360 (400volt 23amper Rds 0.23 ohm). Is ok??????

Silvio

I could change etd 39 with etd 49 and change irf740, with irfm360 (400volt 23amper Rds 0.23 ohm). Is ok??????

Dear Pietro, I am not sure but the input capacitance for IRF740 is 1400pf while the IRFP360 has an input capacitance of 4000. It could be that the IR2153 does not have enough current to switch the IRFP360 properly. It may need a current amplifier.
It is found that the gate charge of the IRFP360 however is quite low and I am not sure maybe it can be done. Someone else who is better than me could guide you here. Open a tread and ask the question and maybe another member will help you.

You can take a look at the SMPS that MicrosiM has designed using the IR2153 driving a couple of IRFP460 he used a current amplifier. The footprint of the PCB in my design does not fit ETD49

Regards, Silvio.

earthsounds

Silvio.
Big thanks for sharing this project with us. I intend to build this SMPS and replace the linear PS I've build for my 300+300W bass amplifier but.... I can not find anywhere the bobbin you used in this project.
The only available vertical etd39 bobbins are 16 legs.
Could you be so kind and point me to the right place to get the bobbins you used?

Regards,
Rafal

Silvio

Hi Earthsounds, do not worry so much about the bobbin use a 16 pin one and then you can cut the extra pins on one side of the bobbin. There is ample space for it to sit on the pcb. I found that ferrite trafo from an old ATX computer smps and only God knows which Chinese manufacturer made it. All I can tell you is there was a name Viking on the outer tape. I don't know if it was by the firm who wound the trafo or the manufacturer. You will probably need to make margin tape for the first layer as it is only the first time that I found a step on the bobbin for the first layer margin.
Do not forget to put a good heat sink like I did otherwise the diodes heat up.

You can make fan temperature controlled if you want with a small circuit with a transistor and a thermistor to control the fan speed so that it will not be noisy on low power playback. Basically I made a fixed resistor with the supply to the fan so that I fixed a minimum speed (6-8volts). When the temperature of the thermistor reaches say 45 deg the transistor base will be biased enough to start shorting out the minimum speed resistor so the full voltage can pass to the fan motor, when things cool down again it will resume to minimum speed which will be hardly audible.

Regards Silvio

steppler

Hello Silvio,

I inserted Your SMPS to Schmidt-Walter calculator, and result .... too small ETD39. I'm wrong somewhere?

Silvio

If you read carefully the smps is rated at 550 watts continuous and 700 watts peak. If some cooling to the trafo and heatsink are included more power can be absorbed. Keep in mind that the smps is intended for audio purpose and the load will never be continuous. You can take a look at the photos I posted, you can see that in fact it reached more than 700 watts if you calculate the output voltage multiplied by the output current. There is also a video on youtube showing the winding of the transformer for this smps. It is called winding small transformers for smps.

In my other project called 1000 watt smps based on ludo 3232 design I got around 1200 watts peak. Which is also published on this web site. In this I used etd 49 core. Again it is used for audio purpose and the continuous rating is 900 watts.

Regards,

Silvio

luizcpimenta

Choice of oscillators and protection

The PCB can be adopted to work with a different oscillator as mentioned before due to the oscillator board and protection circuit is mounted on a separate pin header. This is plugged in the socket provided on the pcb. I also made plans to use different protection circuitry using either a Schmitt trigger or driving an SCR gate with both options pulling down pin 3 of the IR2153 to ground. However these type of protection brings out the need to reset by switching off the supply and waiting for the bulk cap to discharge until it can be switched on again. I prepared the prototype pcbs for these but have not been tried yet

Heat sink and cooling

A good heat sink is needed for the fets and output diodes as these are driven quite hard during the peak output. With the heat sink used the smps can handle the power easily if a small fan is included. I made a fan socket available for this reason. In my setup peak power could be held for quite a long time without things getting hot with the fan on. This was placed at the side to cool also the transformer

Auxiliary output.

An auxiliary output of 12v-0-12v is provided capable of around 800mA. This is intended to drive a preamp stage or some protection circuit on an amplifier. I often see the need of a separate output for this reason.

The design voltage of the smps is 46-0-46 peak at 230 volts input. During my tests the output voltage went down to 78volts at 9.4 amps. The input voltage was 227vac with a power output of 730watts. The efficiency of the smps reached 90%.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN BUILDING THIS SMPS I WILL SEND THE PDF FILE PRIVATELY

View attachment 6150

Good afternoon.
Could you send me the files to build this project?
Thank you.

nazirdigi

vlcsnap-2017-10-08-05h09m44s398.jpghi silvio,
why differences in each layout?
see the arrows,

Attachments

• Snap43.jpg
    Snap43.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 216
  • Snap44.jpg
    Snap44.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Silvio

@ Nazirdigi

1) That is where to have place to return with feedback (optional small board with opto etc near output) if you want to add it if using different driver.

2) There is also place where to use different caps on the output either a pair of 3300uf X 50v or 4 X 1000uf X 100v depending on output voltage used.

3) For output inductor if not regulated you can bridge them or use small rod inductor of 1.5uH on each rail. Do not use common mode inductor on output as it generates a lot of noise.

4) You have also option for using center tap direct on pcb like I did or you can use the trafo pins for center tap.

Regards Silvio

Silvio

I made a different driver board for the video and uses HF soft start and short circuit protection with current trafo and SCR. I still have to make some more modification though and need to improve it. Maybe I will try SG3525 and IR2110 in future and add feedback as well. You can take a look at the other video for the 350w rms smps that used current limiter but on PCB instead of different driver board. This is also posted here on this site and have full instructions.

Please not do not change start up circuit as it works very well with IR2153 chip. It is good and strong. It also takes care of main input bus capacitor to charge up before chip start working.

The Current limiter driver works very well with capacitve coupling method instead of current trafo.

There is also place to put another 1n4148 diode to make AUX supply stronger. However I did not put link and used half winding for Aux supply. For current limiter option use only half winding with 1 diode for Aux supply and IR2153 chip.

You can alter driver as much as you like as the main components are on PCB while driver board can be changed with a different circuit.

I hope that helps Silvio.

Last edited: