1000w smps based on LUDO3232

Silvio

Congratulations on the new setup. The site looks much better now. I was trying to log in on the old url but did not find anything and taught there was something wrong. I made a search on google and found it again :)

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on the new setup. The site looks much better now. I was trying to log in on the old url but did not find anything and taught there was something wrong. I made a search on google and found it again :)

Hello Silvio

the old url should work fine as nothing is changed!

the attachments should work fine now

Silvio

I think I will stay here and forget the old site. I like it more here. The task bar includes everything you need and you do not have to go to advance etc everything is here. :)

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I think I will stay here and forget the old site. I like it more here. The task bar includes everything you need and you do not have to go to advance etc everything is here. :)
The old forums are no longer active.

Everything moved to this new platform, the old one was a real pain!

Thanks

Hi Silvio! I would like to build this source but with EE55, for sure I will have to remake the pcb to fit my horizontal core with grommet pins that I bought by mistake. Will 0.45mm-0.7mm wires work for me or should I buy a thinner one? Did you short-circuit the output? Greetings! IvanElectric

Silvio

Hi Silvio! I would like to build this source but with EE55, for sure I will have to remake the pcb to fit my horizontal core with grommet pins that I bought by mistake. Will 0.45mm-0.7mm wires work for me or should I buy a thinner one? Did you short-circuit the output? Greetings! IvanElectric
Yes you can use the 0.45 mm wire instead it is still good. You can use 2 bundles of 5 wires each 0.45 mm. This will give you a cross sectional area of 1.59mm^2 which is about the same. However an EE55 core is slightly bigger than ETD49.
My final number of turns with ETD49 was 18 turns primary and 9+9 turns secondary. This will give you around 75 to 80v CT in the output.
However an EE55 has a different center core size and you will need to alter the turns. I guess 14 turns primary will be adequate for EE55 and 7+7 turns will give you around 75v ct in the secondary. With this calculation your volts per turn will be 11v per turn. For your auxiliary winding 15v-0-15v then 2+2 turns will be good.
Yes the protection works fine with short circuit.
If you need further clarification do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck

Silvio

Here is the final PDF of the 1000w smps. This contains also options for feedback but if you intend to use it for audio purpose then you can omit this feature. I found it works better with less noise. I can drive my 1000w amplifier very well. You can find the amplifier using this smps in the link below.

Attachments

• 1000W smps final.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
Hi Stewin, Well as far as the smps is concerned this must have a good working short circuit protection. It must sense both high and low side pulses. The one from Ludo is a good example of this. The only mishap is that it latches and you have to switch off for it to come on again.

Estoy trabajando en un HB smps que es LLC y la protección se restablece automáticamente. Esto me dará la oportunidad de obtener un buen valor de capacitancia de salida, especialmente en el arranque. Estoy usando una EE55 y mis esperanzas son 2000w continuos y 2500w en el pico. Todavía tengo que esperar a que lleguen algunas partes más. Acabo de terminar de grabar y perforar y colocar los disipadores de calor en la PCB. El oscilador principal y la protección se encuentran en un encabezado de pines separado. Esto lo hace más compacto y también fácil de reparar en caso de avería. También obtuve los smps auxiliares en un encabezado de pin. Esto se publicó aquí hace aproximadamente un mes.

La capacitancia de entrada es de 4 caps @ 680uF X 450v, esto da 2700uf a través del riel de 320v. El voltaje de salida debe estar alrededor de 85-0-85 y una capacitancia de 5000 uf en cada pata del riel de salida. También incluye un riel doble regulado de 15v para preamplificador y un control de velocidad del ventilador regulado por calor para 3 ventiladores de 80 mm 12v. También se incluye protección térmica. Lo único que no tiene es que los motores de los ventiladores se detendrán por sobrecarga térmica ya que estos son alimentados por el transformador principal y no por una fuente auxiliar.

aquí hay una foto de mi trabajo hasta ahora para el prototipo

View attachment 6963

Hi Stewin, Well as far as the smps is concerned this must have a good working short circuit protection. It must sense both high and low side pulses. The one from Ludo is a good example of this. The only mishap is that it latches and you have to switch off for it to come on again.

I am working on a HB smps which is LLC and the protection is self resetting. This will give me a chance for a good output capacitance value especially on start up. I am using an EE55 and my hopes are for 2000w continuous and 2500w on peak. I still have to wait for some more parts to come. I just finished the pcb etching and drilling and fitting the heat sinks. The main oscillator and protection is on a separate pin header. This makes it more compact and also ease of repair in the event of failure. I also got the auxiliary smps on a pin header. This was published here a month or so ago.

The input capacitance is 4 caps @ 680uF X 450v this gives 2700uf across the 320v rail. The output voltage is to be around 85-0-85 and a capacitance of 5000uf on each leg of the output rail. it also include a double regulated 15v rail for preamp and a heat regulated fan speed control for 3 X 80mm 12v fans. Thermal protection is also included. The only thing that it does not have is that the fan motors will stop on thermal overload as these are powered by the main transformer and not from an auxiliary supply.

here is a pic of my work so far for the prototype

View attachment 6963
Hi Silvio! What about that project with EE55? it's finished?

Silvio

Hi Behrad, Be careful as my smps seems similar fbut the one you posted are not the same. These are a few things you must consider.
1) My smps is not regulated and is usual suitable for a class AB amp
2) The overcurrent protection for the schematic you posted is different from my smps.
3) IF you are going to use my pcb design than it is better to use my schematic so that you will not get things mixed up.
4) The pdf file for the pcb can be found further up just under the video of the amplifier using my power supply.

Please also note that the switching frequency is also different and if you notice the primary turns for the transformers are different from one another. The schematic you posted also has a regulated output which in this case the output voltage for this trafo is much higher at about 80v or so. This headroom voltage is needed otherwise regulation of the output voltage cannot be achieved. You can also notice that the output inductors are different due to regulation these have a value of 20uH as opposed to mine being only 1.5 uH. When not regulated the output inductor only serves to limit some current on startup and to filter high frequency noise at the output.

Last edited:

behrad

i want make this circuit for first experience and make ur smps later
the output inductors are 15uh in ur smps!

Untitled-1.jpg
winding transformer instruction in my smps is:
primari:30turns awg23 3strands in parallel
secondary:26turns awg23 withe center tap 5strands in parallel

Silvio

Just a small calculation for the output voltage. The voltage at the half bridge is 160v at 230v ac input.
so 160v / 30 = 5.3v per turn of the primary winding.
secondary is 26turns so 26 x 5.3v = 138v so 138/2 = 69v- 0 - 69. This is the peak voltage at the output without regulation This voltage will sag with load when there is no regulation. However music power is not constant and usually this type of supply suffice. Trying mine playing normal music the voltage only sagged a little like 78v from 80v

Regarding the output inductor well in a non regulated smps this will filter out some HF noise and limit a little the inrush current during start up. anything larger than 4 to 6 uH will create losses in the output voltage. I was also experimenting with a regulated smps during the build of my smps and that is why it is shown as 15uH
If you have a regulated output then the story is different and the output inductor is needed. In this power range however a 20 to 30uH is a must.

My experience showed me that to get a regulated voltage of 60-0-60 at 1200w with a 15uH inductor than 80v are needed. A larger inductor say 30uH will give better regulation at light loads but the voltage will suffer and tends not to keep up at full power hence a higher voltage is needed such as 85 or 90v.

A zener regulated smps tends also to tick a little without load and a small load must be presented at the output to eliminate it. This noise is due to the smps switching on and off to maintain the output voltage at light load. It will be working in DCM (discontinuous conduction mode).

Last edited: