Recent content by km-r

1. K

Q: primary side current limiting of output

hello, i am modifying a laptop flyback PSU for charging car batteries, i can modify the output from 19.5v to 13.8v switchable to 14ish volts while keeping the voltage at the aux winding for the PWM control IC within operating range. the pwm controller monitors current through the mosfet source...
  2. K

Help Pls: IR2153 HB failure.

hello all! happy holidays! school vacation is on so i would like to get on some fun projects done. anyway ive been stumped on my recent/first trial for an IR2153 HB build for an amplifier. i wanted to try out first if i can get the IC to work. ive had danyk's schematic in my head as sort of a...
  3. K

can i repurpose LOPT/TVflyback cores?

hello guys! just like what the title said can i repurpose LOPT/TV flyback transformer coils for SMPS? im thinking these are nice and cheap substitute for C cores. anyone with experience? theoretical advantages/disadvantages? thanks!
  4. K

Q: IR2153 feedback

hello! i ordered a couple of IR2153 because its a simpler implement for halfbridge vs TL494 or SG3525 but i noticed theres no error comparator/amplifier and most designs are just free oscillating/unregulated design. is there any way to implement voltage correction/feedback for this IC? looking...
  5. K

at what level is a MOSFET more efficient than a BJT in halfbridge?

im experimenting with some old ATX power supplies. ive yet to open an ATX using MOSFETS, most of them are using BJTs like MJE13007 or 13009 or similar. these power supplies are said to be 500W but i think theyre just around 150W continuous duty. ive been building and tinkering with SMPS's only...
  6. K

How To Calculate ETD Push-Pull Transformer

i dont know what you mean physically winding the transformer but some of the basics in winding smps transformers would be 1. always observe the winding orientation [those dots on the schematic] 2. wind the wires neat and evenly spaced fashion 3. wind wires layer-by-layer 4. put thin insulation...
  7. K

how do i calculate Effective Area of ferrite cores?

Hello everyone! Usually when i wind a ferrite core (ETD, EE, etc.) i often need to refer to manufacturer specifications and datasheets for the core "Effective Area"... I use the calculation in here for cores: http://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2012/12/ferrite-transformer-turns-calculation.html I kind...