Search results

1. R

Chinese LM2596 step-down converter modules

I needed a high-current car USB charger 5V at 2.1A for my iPad, smartphone etc. Chinese LM2596 3A step-down converter modules are for sale on eBay and DX for $1.50 to $4.40 (which is cheaper than I can buy the IC for), so I picked some up. I bench tested them and here are the results and...
  2. R

Car audio amp PCB - need some ideas for the mechanical and heatsinks

I'm doing a car audio amp PCB and need some ideas for the mechanical. Best configuration for where to put the SMPS and amp and output transistors? It's 2ch or 4ch x 120W class AB. Usually it's an "L" configuration with PCB and output transistors, or a flat-plate style. I haven't been able to...
  3. R

How to calculate ferrite transformer core size for a push-pull SMPS?

I found some math but confusing results :confused: Looking at IRF car amp reference design pdf uses Magnetics ZP42915 toroid core to get 500W (Ae=74.9mm^2) pri. 12V/2x4turns, 50kHz. Magnetics Inc. Power Design with Ferrite Cores Table 4 (50kHz, 1300 gauss, push-pull): ETD44 good for 450W...
  4. R

help choosing mosfets for a car amp SMPS

I need some help choosing mosfets for a car amp SMPS, about 360W push-pull 50-75kHz so about 30A at 12Vin. What are the limiting factors? I'm not sure how many to use and if super-low RDS on is worth it, as these have higher capacitance. Many 12Vin SMPS designs use 2-6 pairs of TO-220 devices...