1000w smps based on LUDO3232

Silvio

1000 watt SMPS based on LUDO 3232

Hi Villenjak,, I am posting the data you need for winding the transformer. I guess you have to alter the tracks for the pcb regarding the aux outputs as for the 5volts you need 5amps of output current and output diodes have to be changed with something more powerful. however I selected a double winding so that you need to put a common anode dual diode (with 3 legs) you can find these in old ATX psu. For the 12volts you can use 1 diode 1/2 wave rectification and smoothing cap for fan and soft start relay
You need to change also the main output diodes for something more powerful ex 20 amp ( mine are rated at 8amp so I put them in parallel.
I am posting again the pdf as I had some mistakes in pcb which i corrected

1) if the supply intended for SSB only or you need for FM as well. ( SSB you need only 50% duty cycle) current density of wire selected for SSB ok
2)In case you need it for FM what is the power rating of the amplifier for FM. (Fm 100% duty cycle) You can use it for FM but do not take long speeches ok
3) SMPS tends to be noisy at radio frequency and good filtering is needed

View attachment 1000w smps Silvio.pdf IMG_0437[1].jpg

Last edited:

Silvio

Thanks Man it took me a lot of time and thinking but I succeeded. The heatsink is a bit of overkill I guess and till 700 watts of power the fan is not needed

Silvio

Hi Villenjak there is a small mistake in the wire gauge of the 12volt winding this had to be 0.6mm like the other only use 1 wire to wind your turns needed.

villenjak

Hi Silvio,
I apologize for my response, I got sick and I'll get back to you soon. Thank you so much already me much help.
Greeting

P.S.
I use only SSB

fourtytwo

Leaving bad site ASAP!
Hi Silvio, I am sorry to say this at this very late stage but I only just noticed this thread, I am afraid I don't think your PCB meets the creepage and clearance requirements of CE, In fact as far as I can see the primary and secondary circuits are only separated by normal track gaps and if so this is presents a shock and potential fire hazard. Please correct me if I am wrong ?
Otherwise a beautiful job, I like your thermal solution and of course your Litz wire :):):)

Regards

John

Silvio

Hi John, I knew that from the start and I tried to be generous in the space between tracks regarding high voltage. The reason for all this was that I did not want a wide pcb keeping in mind that the heat sink if it had to be attached in the conventional way also occupy space. I wanted the pcb to be longish rather than wide. I have in mind to put the amp pcbs on each side of the power supply. The CPU heat sink gives the best compact design with the needed surface area thus this being small in the bottom surface area. This in turn brings the switching fets and the diodes close to each other. I also wanted the breeze from the heat sink fan to blow at the trafo at the same time. I had to compromise somewhere. The Pcb is generously lacquered not to let any humidity and dirt stick to it. The design also caters for a different PWM driver if comes the need of changes as this is detectable.

PS Thanks for your help and your patience with me. I will not post long posts just not let you time out :)

Regards,

Silvio

Last edited:

jazzclassics

Hi Silvio,

VERY NICE WORK! CONGRATULATIONS!

How do you wind the two output inductors L2 & L3? I am wondering can these share a single toroid like a common mode choke.

I am planning my first half bridge smps. And I bought both IR2153 and KA3525, but cannot decide which is better in terms of stability and scalability. I opt for a 800w +/-58v 120khz as a start. As it is for hifi uses, low EMI and ripples are highly desired. I cannot decide whether it should have a output inductor.

Silvio

Hi Silvio,

VERY NICE WORK! CONGRATULATIONS!

How do you wind the two output inductors L2 & L3? I am wondering can these share a single toroid like a common mode choke.

I am planning my first half bridge smps. And I bought both IR2153 and KA3525, but cannot decide which is better in terms of stability and scalability. I opt for a 800w +/-58v 120khz as a start. As it is for hifi uses, low EMI and ripples are highly desired. I cannot decide whether it should have a output inductor.

Hello JazzClassics,

Regarding the output inductors I included them not to let the trafo struggle at high load but these tend to drop the output voltage. I made my output inductors from a piece of ferrite rod of around 10mm dia. the final arrangement was with 5 turns of 1.5mm ECW. Without them the smps will trip on overload on start up due to it seeing a dead short when charging the secondary caps being 8000 Uf in all. My smps has no feedback and thus not regulated. I suggest you keep below 100 Khz as switching losses will be quite considerable. Mine works at 60 Khz. Regarding the peak output voltage you will expect the voltage to drop around 15 to 19% at full load 1100 watts. Keep in mind that audio does not draw full power continuously and usually it varies between 30 and 60%.

I made another smps which uses an IR2153 and a couple of irf740 this peaked at 730 watts. Its peaked design voltage was 45-0-45. It uses an ETD39. if you want to take a look maybe this will suit your need. There is also a video of winding the trafo the proper way. There is a lot of information in it.

Link http://www.diysmps.com/forums/showthread.php?894-Uni-SMPS&p=14144#post14144.

Regards

Silvio

jazzclassics

Hi Silvio,

thank you very much for your reply. Your posts makes me think that this topology and schematic is absolutely doable. I will make my own half bridge smps soon. I may have questions and will come back to you.

ps. I cannot see your video cos youtube is blocked from my contry.

Silvio

Hi Silvio,

thank you very much for your reply. Your posts makes me think that this topology and schematic is absolutely doable. I will make my own half bridge smps soon. I may have questions and will come back to you.

ps. I cannot see your video cos youtube is blocked from my contry.

No problem I will post the video on dailymotion. is dailymotion available in your country?

Regards,

Silvio

PIETRO

In the diagram, at the bottom right, be: pad 10, pad 11 and CT, what to be?
Also at the top of the center, on line 320v be connected aux + 15V. What is?
Be a small transformer .... I do not understand.
Be a nice schema, very safe and reliable, but do not understand something.
You can get +/- 70volt with +/- 15v aux and + 12v 1.5-2amper turbo fan

Silvio

In the diagram, at the bottom right, be: pad 10, pad 11 and CT, what to be?
Also at the top of the center, on line 320v be connected aux + 15V. What is?
Be a small transformer .... I do not understand.
Be a nice schema, very safe and reliable, but do not understand something.
You can get +/- 70volt with +/- 15v aux and + 12v 1.5-2amper turbo fan

Hello Pietro, for the auxiliary power supply I fitted a small smps to deliver 15v this is powered by the 320vdc bus from the main bulk capacitors. You can fit a small iron core transformer outside the pcb which will be rectified and smoothed and also regulated to 15vdc. Then you can connect it on the pcb on the low voltage 15v aux rail.

Pad 10 and 11 are the points where to make the 1 turn coupling loop to the CT (current transformer) this monitors the current to the mosfets and when maximum current is reached it will switch off the smps. (short circuit and also over current protection)

There is also output for +/- 15v output but till 700mA if you want more then you have to change regulator to be rated at 2 amps on the +15v as this also drives the fan motor. You will need to change the heatsink for the +/- 15v regulator as it has to be larger for more current. My fan motor consume only 150mA. You can also notice that the fan cools heatsink, transformer and also output inductors.

You can find all PDF on post #22 page 3 there is all the detail of pcb and component layout.

Regards, Silvio

nazirdigi

hi silvio,
i watched ur videos, very nice.
on full load what is the temperature of the etd49 secondary wire?
how many halogen bulbs u cennect for load?
is that bulbs very bright or les bright.

Silvio

hi silvio,
i watched ur videos, very nice.
on full load what is the temperature of the etd49 secondary wire?
how many halogen bulbs u cennect for load?
is that bulbs very bright or les bright.

The output voltage of the smps was around 160 volts and the bulbs and heater used where rated at 220 volts
I had 5 halogen bulbs and a 450 watt heater
The temperature of the etd 49 core was around 50 to 60 degrees and the wire was around the same temperature

Silvio

1) The voltage drops at full load because that is all the smps can take.
2) The temperature cannot be measured unless you fit some kind of probe between the windings.

If the calculations for current handling are good there is no reason to check the temperature of the secondary. The heat from the inner winding will dissipate to the outer windings and also to the core. If it gets hot it will also heat the other windings and you would know more or less what the temperature is.

I hope that helps

nazirdigi

hi silvio thank u for the reply,
can i use ee55 core instead etd49 to get more power? any changes to get more power? (around 2500watts.)