Staff member
First successful test of my 1KW PFC.

Setup looks bad, But this is how it looks first time! :D

Setup Information:-

Topology:- CCM

Input Voltage:- 107VAC

Output Voltage (DC):- 382VDC

Output Current (DC):- 2.9 AMP

*Voltage Drop at 1000W Load is around 3 Volts.
* Current Drawn from 107 V AC line is 10.4 AMP (AC) _ PFC Loaded
* Using IGBT
* Special costume Inductor used, 200C rating
* IGBT Tempreture after 15 Minutes 58C with FAN.

I noticed that the output diode affects the PFC performance, it heats like hell and causing the voltage to drop very quickly Until I found the correct one.

Upcoming tests will be shown, when I have AC source of 90VAC + more tests at Higher Loads!

Thanks for reading. :UP:

however, Load BURNED after 42 Minutes of continuous operation

[video=youtube;z6VwjmiZsxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6VwjmiZsxI[/video]

kanon

very interesting
I expect some parts to start testing
my tests would be.
85v input min
260v max input
390V 10 amp ouput.
with L5661

you use as a control FET.

health will be pending. this issue.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
very interesting
my tests would be.
85v input min
260v max input
390V 10 amp ouput.
with L5661

hmmm

390V DC Output @ 10AMP

Thats lot of power indeed, 3900W from 85V AC. I wonder if you have the proper Inductors to do that kind of power at 85VAC.

I am not using FET. I am using IGBT

That looks wrong part number. L5661

Thanks

erhan739

Good job mr. Microsim you're best switcher ı have ever seen now. I'm waiting use amplifier with smps :)

DjLeco

To make an good PFC, need more aknowledgement.

Tell us mr. kanon, wich inductor U will use for that amount of power?

And what switching component?

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
1700W PFC Test

1700W Power Factor Corrector Testing.

[video=youtube;_cGWwleeb3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGWwleeb3w[/video]

1700W drawn from the PFC. Heat is serious at this test.

Corvett

3kW?

very interesting
my tests would be.
85v input min
260v max input
390V 10 amp ouput.
with L5661

That looks like another big Joke / Claim -)

3KW from 85v AC? is that 3 phase PFC then?

daneloctober

Future Earthmaker
Hello Mr. MicrosiM,

Impressive results! How I wish I could finish my PFC as well. You see, I need to design a 2.2kW PFC using the UCC28019 with the following specs:

Input Voltage: 230VAC, 60Hz
Output: 385V, 5.7A

Did you use a PFC IC controller as well? I'm having trouble getting past the 1kW output. Mosfet keeps blowing up. I'm thinking I need to change the inductor. I'm currently using the ETD-59 ferrite core with no gap, which means about 9 turns. I'm getting the required 0.43mH (according to the component calculator from TI) but the inductor current (which I think is supposed to be a regular triangular waveform from upclose) distorts when output current gets higher than 500mA (that's about 200W). I'm getting a relatively stable 385V output though. Can you please help? Thank you very much. =)

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mr. MicrosiM,

Impressive results! How I wish I could finish my PFC as well. You see, I need to design a 2.2kW PFC using the UCC28019 with the following specs:

Input Voltage: 230VAC, 60Hz
Output: 385V, 5.7A

Did you use a PFC IC controller as well? I'm having trouble getting past the 1kW output. Mosfet keeps blowing up. I'm thinking I need to change the inductor. I'm currently using the ETD-59 ferrite core with no gap, which means about 9 turns. I'm getting the required 0.43mH (according to the component calculator from TI) but the inductor current (which I think is supposed to be a regular triangular waveform from upclose) distorts when output current gets higher than 500mA (that's about 200W). I'm getting a relatively stable 385V output though. Can you please help? Thank you very much. =)

Thanks for comments.

Using Mosfets will be a waste of time and money. IGBT was used into that test.

Either you will need to use expensive mosfets for 1700W, witch is very costly

I dont like to use ETD cores while they are NOT specially designed for PFC applications.

I recommend that you GET some -8 Material cores, and you will get success VERY quickly!

I had same problem as you said, MOSFETS KEEPS BLOWING UP

Also take some extra care to the diode you will have to use, its a very critical part also.

That sounds like a commercial project or DIY?

Regards

daneloctober

Future Earthmaker
Thanks for comments.

Using Mosfets will be a waste of time and money. IGBT was used into that test.

Either you will need to use expensive mosfets for 1700W, witch is very costly

I dont like to use ETD cores while they are NOT specially designed for PFC applications.

I recommend that you GET some -8 Material cores, and you will get success VERY quickly!

I had same problem as you said, MOSFETS KEEPS BLOWING UP

Also take some extra care to the diode you will have to use, its a very critical part also.

That sounds like a commercial project or DIY?

Regards

Hey thanks for replying! Yes, it's kind of commercial. Hehe. But yeah, I'll try to use IGBT. I'm currently using two STP21NM50N in parallel because they can only allow 18A max each. According to the TI component calculator for the UCC28019, the peak current expected at the inductor is just about 20A so that's why I chose those mosfets. But since discovering the very low saturation current of my "gap-less" inductor, I'm thinking the excess current was due to the inductor saturating. As for the diodes, I'm using four RURP8100 in parallel.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean by -8 Core material. Can you give me a link where I can order one, or at least a link to a datasheet? Thank you very much!

szhighstar

Good to study, thanks for MicrosiM!

I also add PFC inductor design example for reference:

1, selection core:
We should be know below necessary information:
(a) Minimum Inductance based on DC basic, e.g. 1mH
(b) IDC current, e.g. 3A
According to formula LI*I= 1.0*3.0*3.0=9.0
We can find 60u core is in range from curve which is LI*I vs core part number, and find core
55586 is suitable .
Inductance factor of 55586 is 38uH/N*N+/-8%, so lower limit is 34.96uH/N*N
For meeting 1.0mH, it needs to wind 169Ts, according to formula IN=HL, get H is 56.6A/cm, we
continue to review curve which is DC vs initial permeability, can find initial permeability at DC
current is 68% than initial permeability at 0A, so we adjust turns from 169Ts to 249Ts.

2. wire selection
We select AWG#20 when current is 3.0A, due to big current and high temperature raise, we use
PEW or EIW wire, which temperature rate is 180 degree and reinfore insulation, ensure not short
between wire and wire.

3. Verify design result
249Ts AWG#20 is equivalent 157.9mm*mm, winding factor is about 39%, total area of window
is 401mm*mm.
Minimum inductance at 3.0DCA is 1.04mH.

4.Configuration design
Because PFC inductor is heavy and coil is big, we advise to add base, and full fix coil and base
using epoxy glue, design pin pitch according to PCB of customer.
Vacuum impregnant varnish

5.Reliability testing
We run high temperature and low temperature testing, ensure the inductor can bear high and low
temperature.

6. Electrical parameter testing
L at oA
L at DC current
DCR for coil
Impulse voltage testing for winding.

Last edited:

szhighstar

hmmm

390V DC Output @ 10AMP

Thats lot of power indeed, 3900W from 85V AC. I wonder if you have the proper Inductors to do that kind of power at 85VAC.

I am not using FET. I am using IGBT

That looks wrong part number. L5661

Thanks

Hi MicrosiM
I do not send 15 posts at the forums , so I can not use the Private Messaging System!
However I am glad to work for you.
szhighstar

ssankar73

PFC for Audio Amps

Hi
Any updates on the PFC project. I am interested to know the tests with Audio Amplifiers, since the load is changing, the response of PFC to this dynamic load will be good to know.
Sankar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hi
Any updates on the PFC project. I am interested to know the tests with Audio Amplifiers, since the load is changing, the response of PFC to this dynamic load will be good to know.
Sankar

Thats true, but the PFC will be connected to the SMPS, and the SMPS will be connected to the amplifier.

However, I am currently busy wit my commercial SMPS, later will finish the PFC with SMPS.

If you need help making some tests, we are here to help :)

regards