2kw UPS question

tonigau

I picked up a blown 2kw sinewave UPS from work the other day, It's 48V input & will run with no mains connected (not at the moment but does run battery only mode).
My interest is for a stand alone inverter.
One of the IGBT's are blown along with a fuse. It appears the likely cause is corrosion on PCB tracks due to the fan cooling & subsequent dust/moisture ingress.

There is a fair amount of small component corrosion for it to be reliable, most likely use parts in another project.

Spending a while analyzing with the following.
DC - DC converter 48V --> 700V center tap (MOSFETS lower left of picture, DS00201 TXF)
Battery charging & auxillary supply is bottom center & right.
DC --> AC inverter is top left with output filtering to the right.

The DC bus is center tap 2.2mf cap bank The midpoint is the Neutral of the AC output.
There is a TMS320 DSP that is doing both the DC-DC converter control & the DC-AC PWM inverter + overall management. The battery charger uses a UC384? control IC.

I have a question with the output,
The inverter circuit is duplicated , 2 pairs if IGBT & as can be seen with the 2 output filter inductors(toroids).
One output is thru a N.O. relay contact & the other thru a N.C. relay contact. (quick drawing attached)

Q. I'm wondering if they run just 1 half of PWM inverter to improve efficiency at lower power levels, ?
I might try to get It going just for analysis

!!! Having problems uploading files, Will have to try this afternoon on my home pyoota, sorry...

tonigau

Attachments Worked this time, probly the work firewall...

I might get it going enough to analyse, look at the PWM sinewave & DC-DC operating etc...

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IGBT INV.jpg
    IGBT INV.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 200

tonigau

Hi MicrosiM,

After some closer examination & tracing parts of the circuit it was deemed too much work due to the corrosion from fans & local humidity.(They should have used temperature sensed fans)
This unit was mostly all on one PCB. Not laid out well, hard to utilize sections :-(
I have now stripped this board for parts (lots of power goodies...)

I have confirmed that the duplicated output is for different loading, it improves efficiency at lower loads by running just 1 half.

I have picked up a couple of Solar grid feed inverters, looking forward to modding these at some time for stand alone (no grid) operation.

I have learned a lot by repairing Inverter welders (picked up a car load of faulty units at local hire shop) & other power electronic stuff.
Just wish I could get another go at life to fit everything in that I want/need to do.