Looking for help to troubleshoot a solar inverter

bocasvalenti

I have several failed 12volt dc to 110 volt ac inverters. I was looking for any advice about how to begin troubleshooting these beasts
Thanks

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I have several failed 12volt dc to 110 volt ac inverters. I was looking for any advice about how to begin troubleshooting these beasts
Thanks

Interesting, I recommend that you start with posting some pictures and models of the products. I expect that you have the necessary tools to do so.

I will be glad to help you diagnose those beasts!

Regards

noz-25

LEDadict
Thanks

MicrosiM is in right!You should tell as more about Your problem.You say nothing,just to have a problem.Give as description,photos,maybe video...all You can!

bocasvalenti

OK so here goes. A Wagan Inverter Item NO 2004 1500watt inverter. The picture shows the unit with the cover removed. The circuit board has the following part nos on it SH0731 and GP-1250B with a date code 2005-11-22.
The symptom is an intermittent start and then unreliable voltage control after it starts, a connected incandescent bulb shows some flickering. So I suspect some circuit protection system is inhibiting the start up.
I have 2 other of these inverters with different problems so would like to learn more.

Thanks

P1000612.jpg

bocasvalenti

PS I have checked the obvious like all fuses are ok the unit is getting a good solid 12 volts and the on/off switch is working properly. Not sure how the oscillator is started on these units.

noz-25

LEDadict
What IC use this inverter?Which transistors is there?How many?It's much easy to fix SMPS then make it,becouse You are sure it was work properly somethimes.You must check allmost all semiconductors.Start with switch transistors,diode rectifier...The hardest part is IC,but in most case death IC is overheating quickly when You turn on supply.I don't know how much You know about electronics but i will recommend You to desolder all parts before start measure with multimeter.That is best way to be sure in showing results.Use internet to search for datasheet about transistors becouse You must know wich type it is,MOSFET,bipolar,FET....You probably know it's not same principle to test it.
I think for start You don't have to remove diodes,becouse dead diodes act like short-connections in both way,so You can test it on PCB.In one way conduct in other have to show big resist.If show resist but not to big,it's probably OK but current flow trough something else on the board.If You want to be sure,You must remove it from the board.
If You find something dead-don't replace it and turn on supply immediately,search for more dead parts becouse You can "kill" again new parts if there is something else what You have to replace.
I can't type anymore.((@ Do You find something interesting in this post or You allready know all this?:afro: Start with testing semiconductors.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend that you remove and test all of the semi inductors, and test them one by one.

Also you have to make sure that the PRIMARY side of the inverter is working, before putting new switching devices, this way you are safe.

Let me know your progress