Need advice - SMPS YES or NO, but....

gilhooley

Dear all in diysmps,

I am now first time on this forum and let me introduce myself (my work) in few lines....very short...

I am very (long and deep) in audio SS and tube amplifiers and my PSU was always transformer and classic way of rectification. Besides, I did some PSU (multipurpose), loudspeakers, DAC and preamps...this is not my business, just hobby...

Now, after all this time (more than 27 years) in this I would like to change something in PSU and try to build audio amplifier with SMPS.

I need to build (for the beggining), SMPS for very low power amp (2 x 25 W). Initially classic PSU for this amp is 2 x 18 V on transformer secondary side and after full bridge rectification we have 2 x 24 V. Transformer is declared as 100 W, but I always do my job with 200 or 300 W transformer.

At this point - I need your advice.

1. Is it OK to build SMPS for this low level power or it's better to stay on transformer, diodes and caps ? Amplifier is with BJT transistors.

2. Is it possible to build SMPS for this voltage and power without fan? I know some models (SONY TA-F55 and REVOX B-251) with no fan. So please help.

Now I have no more questions and would like to thank you all in advance. Sorry for bad English.:(

Best regards,

Gilhooley

gilhooley

And one more thing...

I have no experience with SMPS. Please be patient and understand that my knowledge is minor about SMPS. Especially I have problem with chokes and calaculations for SMPS, but I will learn (hope). So if I will ask you something stupid - please understand that I didn't do anything in my life with SMPS, but I would like.

Gilhooley

gilhooley

Thank you Bettecher for a link.

I'll try to accumulate some knowledge, but be warned...I'm old guy and I need more time...So give me enough time to read it...

regards, thanks,

Gilhooley

Jay B

Smps are fascinating, but take it easy, they can be very dangerous, even the relatively low power ones, so be sure to know very well what you're doing.