Standard gap for ferrite for flyback converter

nhatspkt

The paragraph that i marked yellow color. The author mention about that:
flyback.jpg
From the calculate: lgap = 17 mils why the author select standard gap for this core 67mils with an AL of 100mH/1000T?
Reference : Power Supply Cookbook, Second Edition By Marty Brown

Silvio

The paragraph that i marked yellow color. The author mention about that:
View attachment 7157
From the calculate: lgap = 17 mils why the author select standard gap for this core 67mils with an AL of 100mH/1000T?
Reference : Power Supply Cookbook, Second Edition By Marty Brown

From what I am assuming is that not everybody has the means of making a gap in a standard non gap core. From what I am thinking is that he is preferring to use a standard gapped core with the minimum gap available at the time of writing the book.

However there is a means that one can put a spacer between the cores to create the gap. The gap will be on the three legs however the spacer thickness has to be half of the said dimension. This way there will be also some EMI generated from the ends of the core as the gap is present on the three legs instead of the middle leg only.

Last edited:

nhatspkt

Hi Silvio,
A few year ago, I have been used this tool for calculating. But I'm feeling that the result for calculate is not correct. Would you like to tell me some book that mention about calculating transformer for SMPS?

Best regards,
NHAT DAO

Last edited: