Testing circuits

Bergausstein

How do you guys test your high current circuits like smps? I gather that smps circuits for high current applications cannot be tested on a breadboard. How do you guys test your design before putting it together in a permanent board? TIA.

Silvio

Hello Bergaustein, Testing high current circuits will only get results by building prototypes and fixing bugs that are encountered during the tests. It could be the pcb design. EMI, and design frequency and also choice of topology all play an important part. It is only with previous experiences some things can be avoided. The rest will have to be found out when testing the prototype.

I hope that helps

Silvio

Bergausstein

Hello Silvio, do you know any material that I can read regarding proper PCB layout for smps? something that is being implemented in the industry.

Silvio

Hi, I am sorry to say I never came across these reference books except when reading some data sheets and application notes regarding integrated circuits (ICs) that show how to place components around them. There are EU regulations that can be found on line that state clearances regarding to voltages handled by the circuits involved. As for myself I made a lot of observations regarding ATX psu and noticed the clearances they used. About procedures well the shorter the path the better and avoiding high current paths to be away from the small signal ones or at least when crossing them will be as short as possible and at right angles to minimize coupling to them.

Regards, Silvio

Malmir

This goes for "small" devices as well :).
Silvio. If one only have a scope and some Fluke multimeters, how to test for emc ? Some ground knowledge is perfect, but my fantacy has not yet brought me to where I can test for EMC and such.

Silvio

This goes for "small" devices as well :).
Silvio. If one only have a scope and some Fluke multimeters, how to test for emc ? Some ground knowledge is perfect, but my fantacy has not yet brought me to where I can test for EMC and such.

EMI = Electro Magnetic interference EMC = Electro Magnetic Compatibility

A Very Simple and rather strait forward Test .
Get a radio near your project and tune to a weak channel, if the channel you are tuned to is interrupted with noise you will know that you have EMI. If it will not be disturbed from a meter away than you will be ok. At least its a simple and affordable test that you can make.

Measuring EMI is rather a bit complex in a way and need special equipment like spectrum analyzer and some other things to receive magnetic waves generated. You will also need to measure the intensity and these have to comply with standards. I believe if you do some reserch on google you might find something to read about the subject.

Try to google this ( How to measure EMI ) You will find answers for sure

Regards Silvio

Godyreal

How do you guys test your high current circuits like smps? I gather that smps circuits for high current applications cannot be tested on a breadboard. How do you guys test your design before putting it together in a permanent board? TIA.
I have currently this week built amps using uc38xx series on Vero board it works one is 60-0-60 and the other is 17-0-17 and it work fine now am trying to use ir2153 am experiencing problem of no oscillation burning MOSFET though I think I know where my mistake is I did not connect pin 6 of ir2153 to the center of the MOSFET totem pole

Godyreal

I have currently this week built amps using uc38xx series on Vero board it works one is 60-0-60 and the other is 17-0-17 and it work fine now am trying to use ir2153 am experiencing problem of no oscillation burning MOSFET though I think I know where my mistake is I did not connect pin 6 of ir2153 to the center of the MOSFET totem pole
I mean SMPS

Silvio

I mean SMPS
First of all if you intend to build a high current smps, then it has to be prepaired from the design stage. Type of transformer, frequency, voltage, and last but not least type of switching transistors, diodes etc. The bread board or vero board is not siutable to test high currents on it. As long as you are testing the oscillator and protection circuits than it will do. For high current paths its best to use point to point contact with siutable wire.

Godyreal

First of all if you intend to build a high current smps, then it has to be prepaired from the design stage. Type of transformer, frequency, voltage, and last but not least type of switching transistors, diodes etc. The bread board or vero board is not siutable to test high currents on it. As long as you are testing the oscillator and protection circuits than it will do. For high current paths its best to use point to point contact with siutable wire.
I've already build smps using uc3844, 43,45 and 42 but now am trying to build using ir2153 half bridge the problem I have after building the circuit using Vero board when I switch on MOSFET get burn, maybe the ic is not oscillating but only output without oscillation I don't know but from the schematic I built it correctly without mistake is it because I don't include a current limiter circuit? Thanks

Attachments

• images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9