Variable dual PSU for Lab use

Silvio

Here I am posting a dual Psu for use in the lab. This power supply was intended to be run with a linear regular after the smps. However it can be used as it is. The voltage range is between 4v-30v. In my version I added a dual linear regulator which the input follows with about 6v more than the output voltage. A current limit is added to the smps and is set to about 6A. The power of this smps is 300w. It must have some kind of cooling fan added if one wants to use it at full power for a long time.
I used a lot of parts from old computer ATX power supply. However only one leg of the supply is regulated but if one wants to regulate the full dual voltage its possible. However the minimum voltage will increase to about 8v or so but then it can go to the full 60v. The calculated current is 5A and the psu lend itself well at this current with no problems at all. However prolonged operation at full load heated up things a little and larger heatsinks must be fitted.
A PDF of the whole project is posted below if one wants to replicate.

Attachments

• psu regulated final.pdf
    590.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Variable smps 1.png.PNG
    Variable smps 1.png.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Varianble smps 2.png.PNG
    Varianble smps 2.png.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • variable smps 3.png.png
    variable smps 3.png.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Variable smps 4.PNG
    Variable smps 4.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Variable smps 5.png.PNG
    Variable smps 5.png.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

dino zoff

Here I am posting a dual Psu for use in the lab. This power supply was intended to be run with a linear regular after the smps. However it can be used as it is. The voltage range is between 4v-30v. In my version I added a dual linear regulator which the input follows with about 6v more than the output voltage. A current limit is added to the smps and is set to about 6A. The power of this smps is 300w. It must have some kind of cooling fan added if one wants to use it at full power for a long time.
I used a lot of parts from old computer ATX power supply. However only one leg of the supply is regulated but if one wants to regulate the full dual voltage its possible. However the minimum voltage will increase to about 8v or so but then it can go to the full 60v. The calculated current is 5A and the psu lend itself well at this current with no problems at all. However prolonged operation at full load heated up things a little and larger heatsinks must be fitted.
A PDF of the whole project is posted below if one wants to replicate.
Hello Silvio. What about The GDT? Wire diameter, number of turns tec. What core diametre, material and other. BTW in your schematic i tink îs a mistake. One secondary of The GDT must be în opposite phase to The other secondary. Thanks.

Silvio

Hello Silvio. What about The GDT? Wire diameter, number of turns tec. What core diametre, material and other. BTW in your schematic i tink îs a mistake. One secondary of The GDT must be în opposite phase to The other secondary. Thanks.
The schematic for the GDT is good if you observe the dot means start of winding. High side mosfet gate is fed from the start while the low side fet is fed from the finish of the winding. The GDT is a green core 20mm dia and has 18 turns trifilar winding. The copper wire is 0.4mm They are wound together and the ends are in the same order. The traces on the pcb will divert the winding orientation to the gates.