Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new custom built 10' subwoofer

Hi, I´m assembling a speaker, if you have some time, wait a little, i´ll post the pictures step by step of the whole process, from centering the coil to glue the sorround, including how do I center the coil exactly, I think it might help you repairing yours.

Best Regards

Lira
    Studying electronic engineering
    Fanatic for audio
    Crazy for biiiiig speakers

thanking you Lira
    I try my best
    can you explain about contents which is have in your glue(scotch mix) because it is not available in India.

I think ARALDITE is available in india you can use this one for the coil on the spyder and on the cone

and this one for glue the metal parts

Here is the link with everything you need
    http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_mat...fm?pageID=5909
    http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_mat...fm?pageID=5908
    Fanatic for audio

thanks Lira
    ya ARALDITE is available in india but rework is not possible after using araldite if we want replace only voice coil. if possible please tell me. very difficult to replace only to voice coil in branded speaker and stuff the rest is put into use again.Have any idea .....

It's a controversy, if repair this with a glue that it's not tough enough, it will fail soon, but will preserve the original parts, if you use any kind of epoxy glue, you won't be able to repair it again.

What would i do in your case: First disassemble the whole speaker an than take note of everything, the cone hardness, the voice coil (Number of turns layers, kind of wire, kind of material etc...) and try to copy, from the scratch, you will get a lot better result doing this. I tried to repair many many speakers, but the repaired speakers is not as good as the ones i use new material to repair, even the speaker has flat wire on the coil, you can use round wire, the difference is not that big, considering you repairing and old coil versus a new one. If the original coil is made of aluminum, you can change to Kapton or fiber and have a more eficient speaker.

In any of cases you will have to re-measure the Thielle-Small parameters to ensure all the parameters of the speaker.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Lira
    Fanatic for audio

Lira.

JBL Used the special flat wires, they used the flat wire coils in all of there professional speakers.

Once there is a cut into that it will be impossible to solder it.

JBL is robust speakers indeed.
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosiM View Post
    Lira.

JBL Used the special flat wires, they used the flat wire coils in all of there professional speakers.

Once there is a cut into that it will be impossible to solder it.

JBL is robust speakers indeed.
    I know, if you can use it, if it is in good conditions, you must use it. I was saying about, because there is some cases that the coil is deformed or old(with not correct impedance), in that case, you can try using it, but if it keeps blowing i sugest rebuild everything! Perhaps i didn't understand de problem well, sorry.
    I have some speakers to repair, they use flat aluminum coil, very hard to solder, i didn't repaired already because of that problems.

My idea was to try to copy the coil in round wire to use-it in case of unrepairable original coil.

Thanks
    Last edited by Lira; 05-21-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Fanatic for audio

hi microsim soldring is possible

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosiM View Post
    Lira

Here some pictures from speaker I will repair soon.

This speaker fails very quick, I dont like it
    I centered one woofer today succesfully using about 4 layes of OhP transparency paper, the only difficulty part was to remove the OhP paper from the coil, because it was too tight. But the speaker is now on pink noise for 72 hours. I,ll edit e videos and the pictures and post here soon.

Thanks for the attention!
    Fanatic for audio

how to test a speaker with pink noise & where i find it