Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 KW SMPS Project Discussion

Post 1 KW SMPS Project Discussion

1KW diy SMPS Project Discussion and Development

Hello All Registered users at the diysmps web site.

Let me thank you all for joining this forums, really appreciate it.

This thread (Hopefully) will discuss a 1KW SMPS Project, Explaining the SMPS sections, and a brief description about each part.

In order to help us all understand how the switching power supply works. And that will be in lessons.

I am not a SMPS expert either guru, therefore help required from any one who can help me and others.

There will be a PCB, Transformer, Construction details. To help you make that SMPS, while we can't cover every detail in SMPS since its open world.

An oscilloscope is a necessary tool for SMPS development, since there will be lot of examples, BEFORE you can skip to the assembly stage!

So at least you should have access to one.

Comments on this thread are welcomed from all, positive or negative.

At least I am trying to make all of us assembly a SMPS, since these things are rare on the web

Attached is SMPS Block Diagram with SMPS schematic

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com

I look forward to this project being successful. I like your MOSFET driver buffer stage and I also like the International Rectifier MOSFET driver line of IC chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Solcar View Post
    I look forward to this project being successful. I like your MOSFET driver buffer stage and I also like the International Rectifier MOSFET driver line of IC chips.
    I have chosen this chip, since its easy to operate, inlcudes interanl OSC, also needs minimal components to operate. Can you help into transformer design? for that SMPS?

Alas I have learned transformer construction by trial and error. I prefer toroidal cores and don't generally like to have to keep leakage inductance low. When I use bridge and half bridge approaches I use zero voltage switching or a close approximation of it so that more leakage inductance isn't as much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Solcar View Post
    Alas I have learned transformer construction by trial and error. I prefer toroidal cores and don't generally like to have to keep leakage inductance low. When I use bridge and half bridge approaches I use zero voltage switching or a close approximation of it so that more leakage inductance isn't as much of a problem.
    We need FORMULAS, to help all understand that thing, transformer design, at least to know the number of turns + wire type. We know no one will give it to us, BUT we will keep trying.

until we make it possible for all.

Also you said before you are 30 years into SMPS, you should have some formulas?

I just know that about 5 feet of maget wire on a ferrite core translates to a few hundred microhenries. The formulas are complicated, and I generally don't feel comfortable using them. So, I estimate how much inductance that I want on the primary, and then use the turns ratio formula to get the number of secondary turns. One thing to watch out for is having too many ampere-turns on the core as that will overheat it and maybe lower the efficiency of the power supply if the transformer enters saturation. In my opinion, the tranformer is the hardest part.

A good protection circuit, (Current Sense) will prevent the transformer from saturation, if we set it at 10 AMPS let say. so it will shutdown the driver.

We need the basic formula that make us move forward , easy one, we dont need complex formulas, I looked at those, if I follow them I will never be able to make a SMPS!!!

They are very complex, we only need things that makes a prototype possible.

you have any tips for PCB design?

On the SMPS circuit board help, I don't get the reduced EMI from them because I don't use them on my projects, all of which are just for personal use. I use point to point wiring built around the heatsink-mounted MOSFETs.

Either way, the key is to make loops handling high frequency power have as little area enclosed by them as possible. Also, try to keep power origination and return paths close together and parallel. That way radiated fields tend to cancel out at a distance. Try to keep low level signals away from the power circuitry.
    Last edited by Solcar; 05-20-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo

The basic transformer formula is v1/v2 = turns1/turns2. The secondaries generally need to handle current in inverse proportion to their voltage reduction factor.

Solcar;165]On the SMPS circuit board help, I don't get the reduced EMI from them because I don't use them on my projects, all of which are just for personal use. I use point to point wiring built around the heatsink-mounted MOSFETs.

Can you show us some pictures?