Page 31 of 135 FirstFirst ... 212930313233416181 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kW smps project (based on MicrosiM design)

i have also made smps like yours in post 295 and i have blow lots of ir2153 with that schematic...
    This is true, if you mean the schematic found in the application note.

until i made a seperated 15v supply to the ir2153 and i have not blow a single ic since that...
    In schematic published by us, there is a separated +15VDC supply

i let the ir2153 start first and then i connect with soft start the main efter about 2-3 sec, hope this could help you a little bit...

Thats a major trick into the IR2153, the turn on delay issue. + the shut down issue + Huge current draw from primary of transformer due the missing soft start in that chip.

It is simple, but with limitations, see ludo notes, he finally switched to another one wit SG +IR
    www.diysmps.com & www.Micro-Audio.com

Quote Originally Posted by uglykid View Post
    hi giololucas.

i have also made smps like yours in post 295 and i have blow lots of ir2153 with that schematic... until i made a seperated 15v supply to the ir2153 and i have not blow a single ic since that... i let the ir2153 start first and then i connect with soft start the main efter about 2-3 sec, hope this could help you a little bit...

ugly
    Hi uglykid
    When it blew up I was running test same way as you said, and MicrosiM said it too.
    Its my falt not post a schematic here... .

I think the problem was a ironing flux I have used (yellow paste), it short circuits in the board, specially in HI voltages...

Yesterday I cleaned and fixed it.
    After initial tests with series lamps resistors and others, I runned a 3 min x 220W load (32VCC; 4R7 load; 6,87A) everything seems to be ok .

If I have a time, tonigth I will run a longer test (15min) and post pics here.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by giololucas; 08-17-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Hi Microsim

I am still waiting on some of my parts for the smps but am partly done. Would I be able to use this core and bobbin from a tv transformer I have recycled. The core has a gap in it as shown in the photo and is 42mm long x 15mm thick x 21.8mm tall for each half. Would this be suitable for a 600w transformer maybe. Also if I want to build a smps with this 2nd hand transformer, am I able to use the same pcb (ludo's) with modification to fit the smaller transformer instead of the etd49? (Are all other parts the same?).

Regards

Niss_man
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by niss_man View Post
    Hi Microsim

I am still waiting on some of my parts for the smps but am partly done. Would I be able to use this core and bobbin from a tv transformer I have recycled. The core has a gap in it as shown in the photo and is 42mm long x 15mm thick x 21.8mm tall for each half. Would this be suitable for a 600w transformer maybe. Also if I want to build a smps with this 2nd hand transformer, am I able to use the same pcb (ludo's) with modification to fit the smaller transformer instead of the etd49? (Are all other parts the same?).

Regards

Niss_man

Yes you can use same parts, but regarding transformer, I dont know if it will work or not, but you can give it a try, and you can test at 90VAC at first and we can later tell if it works or not.

Just complete your PCB, and make sure its working, then we skip to the transformer side!

Pcb 800w smps

Hi everybody

MicrosiM,
    Here is the first PCB for my SMPS.
    Transformer is the same Ive posted here, its capable of 1000W at 80Khz.
    In my first prototipe in a breadboard, it handled 250W with fan in the secondary diodes.

Im thinking in use a 4,7R x 20A thermistor instead of using 68R resistor + relay, what do you mind?

Waiting for comments.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by giololucas; 08-24-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Looks OK to me, as a start and its better than wires

where did you get this info from?

In my first prototipe in a breadboard, it handled 250W with fan in the secondary diodes.

Let me know heat of mosftes, and type of load you have used

Im thinking in use a 4,7R x 20A thermistor instead of using 68R resistor + relay, what do you mind?

What is that, what is the purpose of that into your SMPS, its not clear to me

I have some pcb left over from my amps I am building but have not got enough to make a smps the same size as ludo's smps. I would like to use my transformer from my picture from post#303 and am hoping for around 600w rms. Has anyone got a design for a pcb I could make to achieve this goal.
    I have 2 pieces of pcb left, 1 is 12cm x 30cm, and other is 12cm x 15.cm.

Regards

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosiM View Post

Looks OK to me, as a start and its better than wires

where did you get this info from?
    This is get from a formula result prensented in magnetics design catalog. This formula is based in Wa x Wc product, this method is mentioned also in Pressman switchmode book.

Let me know heat of mosftes, and type of load you have used
    IRF840 for initial tests (if blow its less expensive than IRFPs...). Temp was less than 60C with small heatsink and no fan.

What is that, what is the purpose of that into your SMPS, its not clear to me
    Thermistor is a NTC used to limit the inrush current in mains caps. When its cold, resistance is 4,7R. When current flows its temperature rises and resistance goes low, allowing normal flux to the circuit.
    Thank you, Ive made silk screen pcbs yesterday late I will post it.
    Last edited by giololucas; 08-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Pcb 800w smps

Here are pics of silk screen home made board.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A simple question regarding the core halves of the transformer. I have asked this previously and was told to buy 2 halfs, both non gapped. Is this correct or do I need one half gapped and the other half non gapped? I just need clarification that's all.

Regards

niss_man