16V/5W Flyback - Standby/Auxiliary Supply.

blasphemy000

Hello all. This is my first thread on here, although I've been doing a lot of reading and learning from your website. I want to say thank you to the operators of this site for the wealth of information that is on here.

Anyways. On to the miniature power supply.
I'm in the designing and testing phase of building a 25V@250A SMPS to be used for TIG welding. Currently I'm waiting for parts to build the second, low-power, test model(25V@25-50A). While designing this large supply I have realized that I will be in need of an auxiliary/standby power supply to power the little controllers and such, so for the low-power test model of the welder I tweaked this design I found online using a TNY276 controller and what I think is an E20/14/5 transformer I pulled from a PC power supply. For the full-power version of the welder I will be building a larger auxiliary supply to ensure that I have enough power to drive the array of IGBTs that will be used(the switching IGBTs and the LARGE(300A) output chopper IGBTs), but for the low-power model this little supply has proven enough. Anyways. Here's the supply. I only have the PDFs of the schematic and the PCB layout. I can't find the USB cable for my camera but when I do I'll post a picture of the finished supply. I fit it neatly on a hand-drawn(with sharpie and a ruler) PCB measuring 2.25x3.00 inches.

Also, the website that I took the design of this PSU from says it will run on anything from 100-240VAC. I'm in the USA so wall power is only 120VAC but I did have it running off my isolation transformer at 86VAC and I've ran it plugged into the wall at 120VAC. I haven't tested it at 240VAC because there's really no need to for what I'm using it for.

Unloaded this PSU draws <10mA from the wall and fully loaded draws just 50mA. Output feedback is through a 15V zener and an 817CN optocoupler giving an output voltage of 16.1 - 16.2VDC. I've only loaded this PSU up to 350mA because above that current the tiny transformer has a high-pitched ring/hum. Nothing gets hot or anything like that, but I'm sure the vibration is bad.

View attachment Board Design.pdf
View attachment Schematic.pdf

blasphemy000

I wanted to add that my quote of <10mA idle power draw is only because my AC ammeter only reads down to 10mA and it was reading all 0s. I'm sure the idle draw is next to nothing as the datasheet for the TNY276 quotes <150mW@265VAC power consumption without a bias winding in the transformer.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice.

I got some TNY chips, I will make AUX supply for my next PFC project.

witch core you have used?

Did you use the PI expert software for calculations?

Regards

blasphemy000

The transformer core was a small core I pulled from an ATX power supply. Based on the measurements I took with my mics it's an E20/14/5 core. A larger core could have been used for more power as the TNY276 will handle a max of 19W in an open frame power supply. For the turns ratio I used similar turns as the original creator used and I verified the ratio at poweresim.com

tebci

very nice, hope i can get that chip into my country. its very difficult to get it.

any sources to buy from?

smps_fan

There are digikey, mouser and rs-components they have all what you want. And because it´s not cheap, if you don´t live in the USA I would recommend that you search ebay for chinese sellers especially, if you just want to buy only that IC for a cheap price. If you have more things to buy than it could make sense to buy from these big american companies because they have nealy ALL you want. I write down all the ICs I can only find there and buy them all there at once because it´s expensiv doesn´t matter, if you buy one or some hundred parts and then I buy some hundred that I have some parts laying around later.