300w smps need help with txfr calculation

sekhar

hi guys,
i am new here i am building a 300W smps with a pfc ......... I need info on how to calculate primary , secondary turns and core size selection.....any help will be highly helpfull.....

regards
sekhar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
hi guys,
i am new here i am building a 300W smps with a pfc ......... I need info on how to calculate primary , secondary turns and core size selection.....any help will be highly helpfull.....

regards
sekhar

Sekhar

In order to get full information, let me know your Transformer Type, SMPS Topology, and all related informations, to give you help

sekhar

hi,
my smps is a half bridge topology with a pfc in the front end. For beginning purpose i would like to make the smps for 300W and is intented to be used for audio amps . I want to use ETD34 as a smps txfr as it is available with me .
A few question
1.How much power can etd 34 handle at 100KHz in a bridge toplogy?????
2.I want +- 40V @ 4A or 3A is it possible for the etd34 to handle that ?????
3. flux density is a confusing thing I cant find it in cosmo ferrite hand book they mention AL(nh) value of CF196 material .

@MICROSIMS i have looked at ur smps calculations xlxs files and even the pdf .
With ur formulaes i got 41 turns in primary and 8.45 + 8.45 turns in secondary..... I it all right.....correct me if I am wrong

regards
sekhar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Etd34

@Sekhar

ETD34 Ae is 0.97 CM2
Primary voltage 150V
I assume you are using 3C90, if other let me know, thats 1200B MAX
witch gives 32 Turns for Primary. @ 100KHZ

Secondary for +- 40VDC 8.5 Turns - 8.5 Turns

When you make your first proto type, you may need to do some slight modifications +- 1 Turn.

ETD34 will give you 400W at 100KHz, ETD39 700W @100Khz. and more power for music play!

If you are going to show the results of your work here, I guarantee that you will make a good SMPS. here you will get REAL help.

Hope that helps :UP:

sekhar

@microsims i have a pfc feeding the smps circuit that is I have 390V DC i/p to the smps . So the primary side will see 390/2 = 195V .
I dont know about core grade it is CF196 it is equivalent to 3c80 and the cores r from cosmo ferrite.
here is the circuit for smps will post pfc circuit later.......

regards
sekhar

Attachments

• SMPS.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 433

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Turns

If feeding 195V, then you are right regarding the windings using the formula.

I have some questions:-

1- Purpose of RSH1
2- Are you using Gate drive transformer?
3- AUX supply of the TL494 from?

sekhar

@microsims
1- RSH1 is used for current sensing using lm393 which in turns, turns of the tl494 using error amp 1 in over load condition.
2- yes iam using gate drive transformer.
3- the aux for tl494 comes from the pfc section...

hey can u do quick calculation for my pfc inductor using etd34.....

regards
sekhar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Pfc

@microsims
1- RSH1 is used for current sensing using lm393 which in turns, turns of the tl494 using error amp 1 in over load condition.
2- yes iam using gate drive transformer.
3- the aux for tl494 comes from the pfc section...

hey can u do quick calculation for my pfc inductor using etd34.....

regards
sekhar

I don`t advice you to sense the current using that method. it works, but some times it changes its mind to do the Job.

Gate drive transformers are Robust!, show some pictures of parts you are using, Scope waves, that will make me provide more help.

Regarding your PFC, let me know Topology, Frequency, Chip you are using. Your test results?

sekhar

@microsims
pfc is working in CCM topology . IC UC3854...... operating frequency 67khz....... i cant post test results right now cause the earlier boards has been confiscated by my boss ..... i am still working without his consent ....... the new single layer pcb is almost made will post pics of the board tommorow ..... this is a secret project that i am running without my bosses approval.....

regards
sekhar

Kanwar

Shekar your SMPS senses only half cycle current, better use CT in series with transformer to get full info on current sense

sekhar

@killmasterx1
its nt that i dont trust microsims or anything i dont have the boards so how will i show any thing . i have full trust on microsims .........

regards
sekhar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
PFC Calculator

@microsims any calculations for the pfc inductor

regards
sekhar

You should look for PFC calculator software made specifically for UC3854, I am not sure if there is one.

Why you dont use a NEW PFC CHIP from Fairchild? as example?

All new chips comes with calculator for all values you need, including inductor.

The main issue is to find the proper core material for PFC Inductor, not the value of the inductor. :"::

Thanks

sekhar

i cant use anything other than wat we have in our inventory without notifying my boss, so got to use UC3854...... I have used etd49 as pfc inductor without any problem but i want to use etd34 for my project .....

regards
sekhar

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
How many KW with the ETD49

Input Voltages and output power?

@ 90VAC How many Kw?
@ 220VAC How many Kw?

sekhar

@microsim ......
not in KW my brother ETD49 was used in the pfc of the smps for a 500W amps . i know etd49 was a over kill but switching freq was 67khz and we had problems in 90V for full power. which i later resolved by changing some components in the FB network.....
neways my pcb r made here r the pics.............

regards
sekhar

Attachments

• Photo-0023.jpg
    Photo-0023.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using same chip in that PFC?

Picture are not clear