Flyback vs Half Bridge question

rcbuck

I have built a flyback power supply running at 65 KHz based on the ON semiconductor NCP1217. It delivers +/- 30 volts at 3 amps. I'm using it with a LM3876 amplifier delivering 55 watts output. I was only trying to obtain 40 watts but the power supply was able to supply more current than I thought it would. The supply is regulated and from idle to full power I only have about .4 volts variance.

Reading the post here concerning the high power half bridge designs I think I would like to experiment with one of those out of curiosity. I have seen a couple of posts where people commented that a simple unregulated supply was sufficient. This is probably true as a linear supply for audio amplifier use is not regulated.

All the designs I see here are in the 400-2KW power range. Assuming I wanted a design that could deliver the same +/-30 volts at 3 amps as my flyback, what would be the most simple design that would work? I have ETD49 cores and bobbins on hand that I used for the flyback design. I would use those for the half bridge even though they are larger than would be required for this power level. Would something based on the IR2153 be the best approach? Which design here would be the best one to use as a reference design? The power supply only needs to operate on 110 volts.

If anyone is interested I can post the flyback design that I am presently using.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
IR2153 can go up to 800 w stable and peak can be 1kw with more care. If you`re power hungry u can go with SG3525 + IR2110. :D . input can be easy switch from 110-220 working operation ..

rcbuck

I was only looking to get about 200 watts out of the supply. I guess I could take the 1KW project based on the MicrosiM design and downgrade components (including transformer wire size) to get the 200 watts. This is just going to be a learning experience for me. Once it is working I may try to use it to power a stereo LM3886 amp.