IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

Mslbrll

My transformer its a IE33 or maybe IE35 from an old atx. 12+12 (3 wires of 0.5mm diameter) at primary and 1 turn per 6 volts on ouput (4 wires of 0.5mm of diameter).

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Guys, im getting some problems whit this smsp, i build the transforme to get +-40v, but when i put a 47ohm resistor as load, the voltaje drops to +-30v, its this normal? i mean its only 1amp and drops 10v?

Any advice?

post ur smps with clear picture here so I can check

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
hi thanks michelle, yea im good now to continue at diysmps again, im happy to meet with old mem and new mem here again :p

jronel

Can somebody tell me the “inductance reading” of your ETD49 core with that 11+11 primary windings… I actually don’t have ETD49 ferrite core at the moment but I have some collective transformers from different types of power supplies. At least by getting some reference like primary inductance from actual EDT49, I can possibly compare the close ferrite material on what I have in my hands.

I did several measurements with 22Turns primary on different type of cores. Tester shows different readings like 800uH, 200uH etc… The best I got so far was the newer FBT cores.

BTW, on post #229, I answered my own questions by doing some experiments. I also add short circuit protection on it, so I can save a lot of mosfet in case of mistakes...

SAM_1999.JPGSAM_2003.JPGSAM_2004.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_1998.JPG
    SAM_1998.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
jronel,

I am not sure about your application, is it SMPS?

this will help, also my ETD 49 measures around 800uh of inductance

regards

jronel

Yes, this is a half bridge smps (self oscillating type) based on detex. Diagram posted somewhere on few pages back but I've done some combinations of experiment to see the behavior of this smps, thanks to Michelle for uploading the schem... and thank you also for mentioning about the inductance. It will be a big reference for me to compare my cannibalized ferrite cores. The close characteristics in my guess are the ferrites which I took from forward topology smps & tv HOT.

I just only noticed that if I increase the oscillation above 100khz the drive mosfet gets warm a little bit while the ferrite core become cooler with just moderate load. On the other hand, if I reduce the F to let say close to 70khz, it reacts the other way around (mosfet cool while ferrite gets hot). I'm planning to play at 70kHz and recalculate the windings of trafo...

SAM_2018.JPG

noz-25

LEDadict
2kw, 5kw, 8kw. What is everyone doing with these high power smps power supplies. I have a 200w stereo and it will blow the doors off of the house.

Hahaha,i have 5+1,6x60W-I really don't need nothing with more power.In 98% time it never pass 30-40% of power.

PS:I think it's the prestige and not the need.People just like to have strongest,best...no actually need.

Last edited:

IGBT

Switching Fanatic!
@norazmi

did you manage to get the protection circuit working for the IR2153D?

do you mind sharing the circuit?

Sierra

Valve Lover!
norazmi,

i blown 2 mosfets when i made short circuit test, i don't know how you got this IR2153 short circuit working

show small video pleas if you can

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
ok, first make sure your current sense trafo is correct winding, i`ll show you in video later when i have time because now im doing few things on my table which is cant be done in short time with it.

regards.

Jerryluiz

Hi nozrami, I like your design with ir2153, very good, what is the actual size of the plate? and size of transformardores? number of turns?
because I intend to use this source in my receiver
one last question to calculate toroidal you can direct me to book or formulas.
thank you Jerry