Viper22A-based SMPS, help needed

hjf2013

Hi! I'm designing my first off-line SMPS. I decided to use ST's Viper IC which are cheap and easy to find, but the main reason is, ST provides free tools for designing your SMPS. On their website there's a calculator where it tells you everything, even the transformer you need (it lets you customize core and wire type and diamter, etc).

Unfortunately the part I had here was a Viper22A which isn't supported by that tool, but i found ST's older design too. It's here in case somebody wants to take a look: http://depositfiles.com/files/rm5qqxqqz

Anyway, I made a test board with the example circuit, which is this:

I found a little error there: C4 is too small (the datasheet recommends about 22uF). I changed that and the output was more stable.

The design I used is 5V 1A output.

The problem is: the SMPS isn't working.

When I turn it on (I'm using a variac, an isolation transformer, and a series 100W bulb), it goes to 5V but I can see on an analog meter that the needle is moving a little between 5 and 5.2V at about 2Hz.

If I load it with about 30 ohms, the output goes completely to zero and then back up to 5V.

If I load it with 10 ohms, the output goes to zero and the needle in my voltmeter keeps bouncing from 0 to 0.5V at about 2Hz rate.

I triple-checked everything and it all is fine, and all the values of the other components are correct in my circuit.

Could it be I wound my transformer incorrectly? According to the calculator, I needed to make, for an "EEL19" core, 279 turns on the primary, 88 in the auxiliary and 19 at the output. Flux density calculated is 127mT which is, I think, a conservative number (most ferrite specs i found start at over 250mT)

To build my transformer i used what i had:
279 turns of 0.15mm wire, 2 turns of 0.08mm mylar sheet, 88 t of .15, 5 turns of mylar, then 19 turns of 3 x 0.4mm (3 0.4mm paralleled). The polarity of the coils is correct and the transformer works ( I checked with a function generator and an oscilloscope)

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hello

Could you please show me what's going on by posting some pictures of your setup.

regards

noz-25

LEDadict
Hello!
My thinking is You comlicate very simple thing!Viper22A is IC for making very simple SMPS.Try this.This is 100% tested.

hjf2013

Hello

Could you please show me what's going on by posting some pictures of your setup.

regards

I'll go and take pics later (the smps is in the lab and i'm at home) but there's not a lot to take pics of. The PCB only holds the transformer and viper22 IC and a few components. the feedback circuit are just soldered "in the air".
Here's a pic of the transformer (before i cut all that excess wire and soldered the pins):
oAkpRUT.jpg

@noz-25
Yes i saw that appnote, it's not much different from what I built. I can't replicate it exactly because I don't have that specific transformer.

hjf2013

as an update:
i think i burned the Viper22.

I was afraid my transformer was wrong so i made another but i had the same issue. so i decided to try for polarity. i changed the secondary polarity and nothing happened. so i changed the primary's polarity and strangely, the needle was right at 5v (no more bouncing). so i loaded it a little... and it dropped but then recovered (i thought). so i turned it off, soldered the dummy load, and turned it back on. the needle jumped to 5V, the test lamp turned on... and the viper22 was warm and no longer working :(

i think i managed to burn the ic. but nevertheless, i think the problem was the transformer's polarity. it was wrong somewhere.

i'll get another viper and make a proper board and test again.

hjf2013

as an update:
i think i burned the Viper22.

I was afraid my transformer was wrong so i made another but i had the same issue. so i decided to try for polarity. i changed the secondary polarity and nothing happened. so i changed the primary's polarity and strangely, the needle was right at 5v (no more bouncing). so i loaded it a little... and it dropped but then recovered (i thought). so i turned it off, soldered the dummy load, and turned it back on. the needle jumped to 5V, the test lamp turned on... and the viper22 was warm and no longer working :(

i think i managed to burn the ic. but nevertheless, i think the problem was the transformer's polarity. it was wrong somewhere.

i'll get another viper and make a proper board and test again.

UPDATE
I got a new viper and made a new transformer. It didn't work either but i triple checked everything and it was ok. So just out of curiosity I swapped the polarity on the secondary. BAM! it worked
my transformer is whining though (I just winded it quickly for testing, i think the wire is loose inside).

i'm making a new PCB with the proper layout.
this is more or less what it'll look like:

wally7856

My advice on polarity of transformer winding’s.

Transformers winding’s are always wound in the same direction.

The dots on the transformer winding’s on the schematic indicates the polarity of the winding’s.

When you wind a transformer, all dots go on the beginning of all the winding’s, or on the end of all the winding’s.

When looking at a schematic, the dots may look like some are on the beginning and some are on the end of a winding, but this is not true.

On your schematic it shows 3 winding’s, 2 primary and 1 secondary. It can be a easy mistake to have the 2 primary winding’s out of phase, because one of the winding’s is shown upside down to make the schematic easier to draw.

jownstar

same your problem but without solution .......

I make transformer winding in same direction but no changing .
what is cause ?

rcweber55

Maybe a bit late for this thread but having successfully built several Viper22 SMPS' the transformer turns indicated above are incorrect (check the specs) for 5V sec you need a primary of 150 turns (75 inside & 75 outside) and 25 turns for the aux and 8 turns for the secondary on an EE19 - all wound in the same direction. pay attention to start and end points when wiring. Transformer gapping (about 0.2mm depending on material) to get the correct impedence (mH) and minimise core current flow is essential. C4 in this diag should be 10uf+. Good luck!

kos_mat

i am trying to build the same circuit but the viper is not starting. i dont get any output. how do i know that the viper is oscillating. basically how to test the viper. please provide me he transformer specification so that i can build the same