Recent content by twenglish1

1. T

SG3525 Driver Circuit

I came up with the gate drive circuit for experimenting, and i will probably need to make some changes to it before i actually try and build it, i am still a little iffy understanding how the SG3525 feedback works, i based the SG3525 portion of the circuit off of schematics found online and the...
  2. T

Gate Drive Transformer Issues

So got my SG3525 driver circuit completed and checked the output with my scope, i am getting two opposite phase square waves, 20khz each, 50% duty cycle. I tried many times to create a gate drive transformer and none were outputting the correct waveform, i have tried multiple "salvaged" toroids...
  3. T

SG3525 Current Regulation

I added to my design, what I think will work for current regulation but I am not sure it will work, my idea is to make a current transformer that will go around one of the output wires of the full bridge, rectify the output of the current transformer and feed it though a voltage divider which...
  4. T

SG3525 Full Bridge Driver

I recently starter prototyping the PWM driver for my full bridge inverter power supply, and also tried creating a gate drive transformer with a few random toroids i had laying around, with no success, here are some of my scope outputs, the first is the output of the sg3525, A measured at around...
  5. T

Question about gate drive transformers

If i understand correctly the high side switch of a half bridge requires 15 volts more than the collector voltage, right? If so, I am wondering how a gate drive transformer accomplishes this, this is a fairly simple question, but it is something I do not understand, as a gate drive transformer...
  6. T

SG3525 Driving Full Bridge

I have been doing lots of reading on the SG3525 PWM IC, i drew up this schematic and am wondering if it will work for driving a full bridge inverter? i understand that i am not using the SG3525 to its full potential in this schematic
  7. T

Microcontroller Switchmode Control

Has anyone here ever gone the route of using a microcontroller to generate the pwm signal/signals required to drive a switchmode powersupply? I have always been into coding for microcontrollers, and thought about trying to drive an inverter with code and using the micro to handle the...
  8. T

Full bridge driver for multi Kw supply

I took a break for a while on designing my switch mode plasma cutter/welder, I have been doing a lot of reading and research on the subject and revised my design, I will be using two half bridge igbt modules configured in a full bridge setup, the modules are rated at 150 amps continuous at...
  9. T

New guy here(first SMPS build)

Hello everyone, i am starting a project to build a high power switchmode supply that will act as the power source for a homemade plasma cutter, i don't want to hear start with something easier and lower power since i am new to this, i have made the decision that the best way to learn is to just...
  10. T

IR2153 question

I am starting to design my first smps, and I choose to use the IR2153 pwm driver, I will be using it to drive a half bridge igbt module, I am aware that the high and low side gates of these modules need to be driven from power sources that are isolated from each other, will this chip provide that?
  11. T

Problem with switchmode welder

I recently purchased a powcon 200sm inverter welder, not sure how old it is, it uses scr's instead of igbts or mosfets, so I'm guessing its an older one since it uses the scr's, anyway, I plugged it in and powered it up, tried running some welds and it didn't seem to be working right, arc kept...