Uni SMPS 300W

demykiko

hi Acca

You did a good and very simple working smps project..
did you try to use flyback transformer core?
I am now using that core in my smps because I have many
of them but don't have so much experience or understanding
of that type of core..that's why I'm still experimenting..
your comment is really welcome..

Regards,
demykiko

Acca

Sory for late reply,if you mean core from HOT from TV,answer is yes,but wound them like toroid.It can put nice output power,I tested to 600W.For primary I use 20-25 turns for cca 40-50kHz...

soopaman

This is AWESOME !! :adoration: I'm in the beginning phases of building my very first class d\t amp using a tk2050 pre-built module. The module arrived this weekend, but I am undecided about using a laptop PS adapter, or using a smps module like the 300W one offered by Connexelectronic. I found this forum while doing my internet research and couldn't be happier. Now I'm not trying to be cheap by any means, but saw an opportunity where I could upcycle a few of the many PC power supplies that I've collected over the years ( OK.. I'm cheap and hate tossing out good equipment that has absolutely nothing wrong with it). I feel like this project is within my abilities to build successfully (with some guidance of course). If not then I could always buy a premade one from connexelectronic. All that being said, here's my first (of many) stoopid question I would like to ask.....How does this diy-SMPS compare to the 300W one offered by connexelectronic for use in and audio amplifier build? Thank you in advance for your time.

Acca

I didn't tried SMPS from connexelectronic.I and my friends make a lot of this SMPS,and all is working ok in amps.
I'm using components from PC PSU,TV's,monitor's,etc. too.

Acca

I see your SMPS now.It's based on LLC converter,and probably have a output regulation.If you like to learn something and have fun,you should build SMPS,If not,you can buy LLC (better solution :))

soopaman

Thanks for the quick response Acca. I definitely want to have fun (safely) and learn (not in that particular order). So, I'll give the SMPS you designed a try. I can always spend the money and purchase the LLC converter based power supply if things don't do well. Thanks again.

duuka97

Hi everyone,

This SMPS works very well, i instaled that on 3-4amps and there is no problem :). I also tried bridge that is also good. Pozz za ekipu :D

soopaman

Hi everyone,

This SMPS works very well, i instaled that on 3-4amps and there is no problem :). I also tried bridge that is also good. Pozz za ekipu :D
Glad to hear that. I spent the evening cannibalizing a few old PC Power supplies that were taking up space in my cellar (Glad I didn't toss them out). Was this your first time building a SMPS? Did you find it difficult to accomplish? Thank you in advance.

soopaman

Acca. I've been trying to understand the attached files in your first post of this thread, and my inexperience is about to rear it's ugly head. What's the difference between the files (a+a2 and b+b2)? Which one do I start with? And lastly, some of the components in the layout are not labeled (although I can see it in the schematic). Any information you can provide that makes building this thing an easier that a caveman like myself :) can understand, and learn (and successfully build) would be greatly appreciated.

duuka97

Glad to hear that. I spent the evening cannibalizing a few old PC Power supplies that were taking up space in my cellar (Glad I didn't toss them out). Was this your first time building a SMPS? Did you find it difficult to accomplish? Thank you in advance.

Yes this is my first SMPS ever build, it works from first. It is difficult until i didnt get a trick for winding BDT, when you first make it all anoter will be like "anoter day in office" I write some tips for first start up:

-double check EVERYTHING from polarity of the diodes(expecialy body diodes) to polarity of capacitors.
-put 100W light bulb in series with mains
-instead of big bulk elko (elko for 310V) use 1-10uF
-plug the mains and be ready to unplug in next seccond
-it shoudnt be BOOM if all is corectly conected
-on secondary side put two diodes and capacitor at least 100u/63V on windings for 12V (for first time i reccomend use ATX trafo) and attach voltmeter seted to DC also put a bleeder resistor 2k8 2W
-To wind a CFL torus use UTP cabel and use 3 wires and make 4 turn, on one side will be begginings on other enginngs, first begin attach to upper transistor on base and ending on E of that transistor, for bottom transistor attach end of seccond turn to base and begin to E of that transistor third turn remain for voltage feedback for now let in the air not connected.
-parralel put a 100W light bulb on primary of trafo if not glow turn of the begginig of "current turn"(one turn trough CFL torus).
-If bulb is glowing, disconect from primary of trafo
-connect voltage feedback
-if you get somevoltage on seccondary side you did it right you have SMPS :)
-if you didnt get voltage reverse the dirrection of voltage feedback turn.
-now should works :)

I hope this is helpfull. If haveany problems leave a reply :)

All part you can use from ATX psu.

Have fun :)

Last edited:

soopaman

@Acca
I will. Thanks.

@duuka97

Thank you for those helpful tips. I'll take my time and check my work as I progress. I start a new thread once I gather all the parts and begin the projects. Thanks again.