1000w smps based on LUDO3232

Silvio

Well I don't think you will be able to put 1.5 turns as you will have winding ends on different sides of the trafo. Well 1.5 turns will be in the region of 12v or so. What I did in mine I wound 3 turns and fitted a 15v regulator. You can opt for 2 turns thus having around 16 to 18v and fit a 12v regulator instead.

@Silvio

Is it possible to build a DC to DC converter (12V to +-70V @ 500W) from this schematic to drive an Amplifier?(Car)
I built this SMPS before and now I want one for my Car amplifier
I'll appreciate any help

Silvio

@ Badboy

If you are referring to the schematic of this smps well I tell you its not good because the topology has to be push pull.

Some considerations:-

500 watts at 12v is 42amps in the switching transistors or mosfets or IGBTs
The winding in the trafo has to be thick enough to carry the current. It can be multiple wires in parallel or copper foil
The mosfets have to be with low RDS on otherwise they get very hot, You have to use them in parallel.

Here is a website where you can take some ideas for a car power supply. You can use google translate to read in your language.

http://www.bcae1.com/switchingpowersupplydesign/switchingpowersupplytut01.htm

Regards Silvio

@ Badboy

If you are referring to the schematic of this smps well I tell you its not good because the topology has to be push pull.

Some considerations:-

500 watts at 12v is 42amps in the switching transistors or mosfets or IGBTs
The winding in the trafo has to be thick enough to carry the current. It can be multiple wires in parallel or copper foil
The mosfets have to be with low RDS on otherwise they get very hot, You have to use them in parallel.

Here is a website where you can take some ideas for a car power supply. You can use google translate to read in your language.

http://www.bcae1.com/switchingpowersupplydesign/switchingpowersupplytut01.htm

Regards Silvio

Thanks alot man:w)
I will check that out

Hi there

Anybody can help me with transformer winding?

I'm going to build a 12Vs to +-75 Volts DC to DC converter and I don't know how to wind the primary winding
Should I wind a turn of primary and then the whole secondaries and then another turn of primary???or something else???(since the primary has only 2 turns with center point)
Since I'm using 32 AWG wire for my winging (~0.2mm diameter), should I twist the primary parallel wires together and wind it at the lower or upper parts of bobbins or should I spread the parallel wires (~300 to 500 parallel wires) across the bobbins???
I'll appreciate any help

Silvio

I think 200 to 500 strands well quite an amount I guess you should make 2 or 3 bundles of say 100 each twisted and wind them in bifilar method.
I think its best to wind the secondary winding first and put a layer of tape on it. Wind primary afterwards.

If you lay your bundles of the primary a little flat thus the bundle will have a rectangular shape when laid on the toroid it will cover more area on the core and have better coupling to the secondary. Try to cover the whole ring with your winding

Silvio

I think 200 to 500 strands well quite an amount I guess you should make 2 or 3 bundles of say 100 each twisted and wind them in bifilar method.
I think its best to wind the secondary winding first and put a layer of tape on it. Wind primary afterwards.

If you lay your bundles of the primary a little flat thus the bundle will have a rectangular shape when laid on the toroid it will cover more area on the core and have better coupling to the secondary. Try to cover the whole ring with your winding

Silvio

Thanks for reply

Do you mean :
1- half of secondary
2- half of primary
3- other half of secondary
4- other half of primary

Or you mean I should wind all the secondary winding and then the primaries????

Silvio

Hi Badboy,

What are you actually using as a core is it a toroidial core or is it a normal EI or ETD transformer? What is the smps inteded for? Audio or something else? I am asking as if you are using a normal ETD or EI transformer then a copper sheet for the primary will suit you better for the primary.

Please specify and also tell me the size and core material.

Silvio

Last edited:
Hi Badboy,

What are you actually using as a core is it a toroidial core or is it a normal EI or ETD transformer? What is the smps inteded for? Audio or something else? I am asking as if you are using a normal ETD or EI transformer then a copper sheet for the primary will suit you better for the primary.

Please specify and also tell me the size and core material.

Silvio

The transformer is ETD49 or even needed ETD59 (Both available)
I'm building this SMPS to drive my 500W sub amplifier in my car

Silvio

The transformer is ETD49 or even needed ETD59 (Both available)
I'm building this SMPS to drive my 500W sub amplifier in my car

I think that ETD49 is enough You can run your smps at 20khz with that and you do not have to use Litz wire.

The wire at this frequency can be 0.8-0.9mm. 500w at 150v =3.3 amps

input voltage calculated is 12.5 minimum nominal 13v and max of 14.5v

Current for single 0.8mm wire = 3amps at current density of 6amps per mm² so a single wire will be enough for secondary 500watts in audio is not continuous
turns secondary for ETD 49 is 22+22 turns (You will need regulation of the output voltage)

peak secondary voltage will be around 90v You will need output inductor of around 80 to 100uH

primary turns for ETD49 at 20Khz is 3+3 turns (push pull topology)

You need 12 wires parallel 0.8mm OR copper sheet 0.2mm thick X 30mm wide ( you need 6mm²) for current in primary

I hope this helps

Silvio

@ Upik

Hello Upic, about the capacitors 2.5uf X 400v (C4 snd C5) well you can put 2 in number capacitors of 1uf in parallel on each side so that you have 2uf and 2uf. These are to divide the voltage of the main bulk capacitor (C2 and C3) (680uf X2 in parallel) which are across the 320v dc bus.

Pad 9 is there so if you put earth screen (faraday screen) between primary and secondary. You may not use it if you want

The peak voltage with the number of turns is around 95v with 12.5 turns on secondary. If you want 80v peak there is different number of turns
SMPS is not regulated you can omit the output inductors L2 and L3.

New transformer turns for 80-0-80v peak is

Primary 18 turns so first half primary then two half secondaries then again half primary

Wire for primary and secondary enamel copper wire 0.5mm

Primary 2 bundles of 4wires each twisted together (total 8 wires )

start at pad 1 stop at 9 turns and put wire to side like in video then wind secondary and again 9 turns on top and stop at pad 2

Secondary 2 bundle of 4 wires each twisted (9 turns then center tap then start again from center tap and again another 9 turns)

(1st half secondary) Start at pad 7 wind 9 turns finish at pad 6 (2nd half secondary) start at pad 6 wind 9 turns and finish at pad 8

Other auxiliary windings can be put after you wind second half of primary (see video)

Link for video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K3ixhcTYFg

Please note that this video is NOT for this smps and turns are different but you can take a good idea how to do it

Regards Silvio

Upik

@mr.silvio
What about the direction of rotation of the wire coil? It must be clockwise or may be for counterclockwise

For what is the function of vr 2 and vr 3 mr.silvio ??? i want secondary 45 0 45. How i set the current only at peak 12A, ??

Last edited:

Silvio

@mr.silvio
What about the direction of rotation of the wire coil? It must be clockwise or may be for counterclockwise

For what is the function of vr 2 and vr 3 mr.silvio ??? i want secondary 45 0 45. How i set the current only at peak 12A, ??

Hi Upik

direction of rotation of windings are all the same direction if you follow my instructions given in the last post.

VR1 is for setting the frequency (60 to 65khz) VR2 sets the dead time (1uS) VR3 sets the over current protection

You must load the smps gradually and set VR3 when you have 12 amps current on secondary so that it will trip on OLP

Winding turns for 45-0-45 (input voltage is 230v)

Primary 20 turns secondary 6+6 turns

WIRE FOR PRIMARY 2 BUNDLE 4 WIRES EACH TWISTED 0.5mm (8 wires total)

WIRE FOR SECONDARY 3 BUNDLES OF 3 WIRES TWISTED 0.5mm (9 wires total)

You will need an oscilloscope to see what is happening and set dead time and measure frequency.
If it is your first smps you better try something smaller first.

WARNING SMPS is dangerous and have high voltages. These voltages could kill you so please be careful.

Please read smps warning first before you attempt to build an SMPS

Read also blog posts 1) making litz wire at home 2) transformer winding practices for smps

Download the PDF files attached to these blog posts and read them first.

Regards Silvio

Last edited:

Upik

I do not have an ociloscope, how can i determine dead time. I will make smps, same persisis with which you post. At what time direction vr2 is right. ?? if it is the same as the one you made? because all the resistor component values ​​and the vr value equal to yours. how many rounds for the current transformer ?? i use green cores.

Last edited:

Silvio

I do not have an ociloscope, how can i determine dead time. I will make smps, same persisis with which you post. At what time direction vr2 is right. ?? if it is the same as the one you made? because all the resistor component values ​​and the vr value equal to yours. how many rounds for the current transformer ?? i use green cores.

Dead time can be set with fixed resistor 33 ohms You can measure vr2 with ohm meter and set value

Current transformer is 22 turns R10 and R11 are 22R 0,5watts (detail can be found on schematic)

When you finish building the pwm section test it alone with separate power supply and see that it is working before connecting fets and transformer

For center of primary winding I did not cut the wire but put it aside and continue winding with secondary then I wind the second half of the primary with the remaining wire.

You can use the pin on pad 9 and one beside it for center of primary winding but do not fix them on pcb cut them short ( take a look at the pcb layout)

Last edited:

Upik

Yes for my 2nd half primary roll is the same as you do, but because I think pad 9 is the center of both primary windings. So I connect the primary center to pad9. So the rest of the first primer before winding, I leave 100mm. If pad9 is not the center primary, I can fix the transformer, because the primary center1 and 2 blm I broke up..just I fold.

So how do i test pwm running or not. Before i connect to fet. Sorry i really do not get it, tp please help me. I hope to finish smps from you. And i will be very proud. My smps before only use pwm ir2153 without protection, and also with uc3543 with FBT topology, I am really a beginner. i hope you can be kind enough to teach me.

Last edited: